New coral dying in a matter of hours.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my salinty down and what's left of my cleanup crew is super happy, they are going to town on the green slime alage on my rocks.
Glad to hear it. I’ve never seen salinity that high, that’s crazy.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, ive been in the hobby for 7 years and last week i finally broke down and bought a miluakee refracto.
My 7 year old swing arm hydrometer was @ 1.025 but got a reading of 1.030 from the miluakee after calibrating. This has been my salinity for the better part of 7 years. Some things grow like crazy, fish didnt seem to mind after acclaimating but some things didnt like it at all. Not the end of the world at 1.030 but i cant speak for 1.040!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang I dislike math lol. I will need to figure out the water volume in my tank. I have a deep sand bed 3-4 inches, probably around 30 pounds of rock and the back is filled to the over flow slot.
You can just do it a gallon at a time - and then check the salinity - you don't really need to calculate it. Just measure it after each change.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have figured out the problem the refractometer needed to be calibrated with calibration fluid not distilled water. And once that was done it was reading 1.035 lol.
By the way - usually(key word) - if that reading is high - the other parameters (ca, mg, etc) should also be high- which makes me suspect that your SG reading might not be correct at the high end either? (unless you think the sodium CL in the original salt was too high - why would it be)?

Sley1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so tempted to sell my Milwaukee refractometer and get one of those. Imagine how easy testing would be! I’d do it every day just for fun.

You will the Hannah salinity tester, its so easy and accurate that I do test every day, less than 10 seconds to get the reading..

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way - usually(key word) - if that reading is high - the other parameters (ca, mg, etc) should also be high- which makes me suspect that your SG reading might not be correct at the high end either? (unless you think the sodium CL in the original salt was too high - why would it be)?
The parameters were pretty high. I made sure to get a refractometer for salinity this time and it had good reviews. I made sure to calibrate it with calibration fluid and even made sure to see if it was calibrated a few times.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will the Hannah salinity tester, its so easy and accurate that I do test every day, less than 10 seconds to get the reading..
Im not sure what the deal is with people saying the miluakee takes too long to obtain a reading. I calibrated mine with no issues, tested the validation solution and it was right on point.

For a reading i use a small 1ml syringe to place a sample onto the electrode, hit read and boom. I think it takes all of 5 seconds.

In 10 seconds i could clean the lens with a cloth and retest another sample.

Also if testing multiple systems including quarantine tanks i would not be dipping the tester into each tank without first cleaning with bleach and drying for 24 hours.

I do have a PH/TDS pen that you dip but it only goes in my DT. Takes about 10 seconds for it to stabilize due to the ATC.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails have cleaned alot of the green slime alage but there is still alot of cyano I have some phosgaurd in my intank media basket. Also the water seems to be really cloudy for some reason, I just changed all of the media to see if that helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back