New coral dying in a matter of hours.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of a link btwn salinity and alkalinity. Explains my phantom Alk drop last week. ty

Its not really a link per say but but both being functions of dilution.

Your salt mix roughly contains is made up of several compounds NaCl being the most numerous but the other compounds are roughly proportional(settling can throw this out of whack a little) to the NaCl dilution.

Easier to understand if use metric units
As an example if your salt mix is 8 dkh at 1.026 SG.

Your solution will contain 35 ppt NaCl and .143ppt Ca(HCO3)2 in respect to the water present.

So if mix to only 30ppt or 15% less salty
You will also have 15% less alkalinity.

Hopefully that makes sense [emoji23]

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was an explosion of alerts lol. I calibrated the refractometer with disteled water. I have not tested the mixed water but once I get the new testing kit I will.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not really a link per say but but both being functions of dilution.

Your salt mix roughly contains is made up of several compounds NaCl being the most numerous but the other compounds are roughly proportional(settling can throw this out of whack a little) to the NaCl dilution.

Easier to understand if use metric units
As an example if your salt mix is 8 dkh at 1.026 SG.

Your solution will contain 35 ppt NaCl and .143ppt Ca(HCO3)2 in respect to the water present.

So if mix to only 30ppt or 15% less salty
You will also have 15% less alkalinity.

Hopefully that makes sense [emoji23]

It does, ty. I was just stumped when my alkalinity made an apparent 1dkh swing, down and then back, over a 24 hour period with no dosing of any kind. I had attributed it to testing error. In hindsight though, I remember struggling with my salinity once at roughly the same time during a big water change. My refractometer got soaking wet and was giving wildly disparate readings.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was an explosion of alerts lol. I calibrated the refractometer with disteled water. I have not tested the mixed water but once I get the new testing kit I will.

You aren't suppose to calibrate with distilled water. You should use a solution that is calibrated to 35 ppt.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that distilled water can calibrate a refractometer is that not true?

You should use calibration fluid. You wabt something as close as possible to where you want to keep your tank.

There is an article by randy to describes why very well. But to sum up using a pint far away can increase slope errors many magnitude.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should use calibration fluid. You wabt something as close as possible to where you want to keep your tank.

There is an article by randy to describes why very well. But to sum up using a pint far away can increase slope errors many magnitude.
I will look into getting some thanks.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did they look when you first put the frags in? They could be stressed from shipping. Cold weather, no heat pack etc.

Good advice though above.
I got them from a local reefer 45mins away from me and they looked good when I got them. And they where only out of a tank for the trip back and when I was acclimating them.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy to lose a frag in hours.
I float for 15 minutes, dip with a coral dip, and in the tank they go.

Can you explain exactly how you floated to in the tank? All steps and were they in a bag or container.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CA a little high. What is salinity and temperature also?

I would recommend taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test as a comparison and verification of your readings

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would recommend taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test as a comparison and verification of your readings
So I just did a magnesium test with a Salifert testing kit and the magnesium is above 1500. I used the whole syringe and it didnt turn blue. The salinity is around 1.026 and temp is around 80.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just did a magnesium test with a Salifert testing kit and the magnesium is above 1500. I used the whole syringe and it didnt turn blue. The salinity is around 1.026 and temp is around 80.
Try filling the syringe a second time and drip it until it changes, you can do a little math to see how high it is. Have you been dosing anything?

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try filling the syringe a second time and drip it until it changes, you can do a little math to see how high it is. Have you been dosing anything?
I tried doing that and it only took a few drops to change the color. No I am not dosing anything.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also the closest LFS is about an hour and a half away so it will be a while before I can get over there to test it.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My guess is 1) you dipped Corals too much, 2) your salinity isn’t 1.025 3) you have rock/tank from someone who used copper.

Salinity is probably the winner.
I was reading all the other posts and I was thinking to myself this guy is probably not measuring the salinity right. Calibrating with Fresh water can give you a 5-6 point discrepancy that is more than enough to kill Corals within short time. Nothing else except may be copper in your system (if you had someone else’s rocks from flowlr who used copper) can kill/bleach Corals as fast low salinity. You can have 2200 mag, it will kill Corals slowly, if you dumped a bunch of alk into the tank, that can kill Corals, but other than that not many things will kill Corals that fast. My tank is stocked with acros and I run it up to 83 degrees so the temp is not a big deal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back