New coral dying in a matter of hours.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pharmaceutical grade. It’s the BMW of salts. And I’m not talking your 3 series... but for real, it’s German, it’s quality, you don’t need to add more salt to the water like you do with instant ocean/coralife, it mixes out to exactly what it’s supposed to. I switched to it a few months ago from Red Sea Pro, such a big difference. People say salt doesn’t matter... I’ve learned the salt most deffinetly does matter.. night and day differences in my tank, no other changes.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I dont think it is to much more because coralife claims to make 150g and but it says that makes1.021-1.023 batches not 1.025.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pharmaceutical grade. It’s the BMW of salts. And I’m not talking your 3 series... but for real, it’s German, it’s quality, you don’t need to add more salt to the water like you do with instant ocean/coralife, it mixes out to exactly what it’s supposed to. I switched to it a few months ago from Red Sea Pro, such a big difference. People say salt doesn’t matter... I’ve learned the salt most deffinetly does matter.. night and day differences in my tank, no other changes.
I've been using it since I started, it's all my lfs sells. I went in his store once and saw several buckets of red sea sitting in a corner, when I asked about it he said red sea made him buy it in order to sell their tanks and he was going to let it harden into blocks right where it sat before he sold it to any of his customers

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it since I started, it's all my lfs sells. I went in his store once and saw several buckets of red sea sitting in a corner, when I asked about it he said red sea made him buy it in order to sell their tanks and he was going to let it harden into blocks right where it sat before he sold it to any of his customers
Hahahha sounds like we’d be friends lol.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best place to buy this Tropic Marin stuff? I'm looking at this.... is this the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007R5MI0G/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Will I notice any difference/problems by introducing this salt via water-changes over time? I have used Instant Ocean from the beginning, and it's been great, but based on the glowing praises I have heard, and the fact that I don't run a huge tank, I would be open to spending more for the peace of mind.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it on sale. Last time I found it on marine depot, $19 for 35gals. I got a bunch of them when that sale was going on.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best place to buy this Tropic Marin stuff? I'm looking at this.... is this the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007R5MI0G/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Will I notice any difference/problems by introducing this salt via water-changes over time? I have used Instant Ocean from the beginning, and it's been great, but based on the glowing praises I have heard, and the fact that I don't run a huge tank, I would be open to spending more for the peace of mind.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-reef-salt-tropic-marin.html

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing you should notice is a happier tank!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably have to wait a month before I spend 100 bucks on salt lol.
I know you said your lfs is a long distance from you, the store I use will bag up salt for you for however much water you want to make of you don't want to buy the premixed water. It's probably not a common practice but it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they sell Tropic Marin and if they'll do that for you

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell us your lighting? do you know the par ranges in your tank. (apologies if you've already mentioned this) This sounds like you literally fried the cells with too much energy.

Something bleaching in a matter of hours is a little unusual, but not unheard of. If it were chemistry, I'm sure a handful of different organisms would be feelin it, not just 1 or 2. 80 degrees isn't anything that's going to cause issues.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell us your lighting? do you know the par ranges in your tank. (apologies if you've already mentioned this) This sounds like you literally fried the cells with too much energy.

Something bleaching in a matter of hours is a little unusual, but not unheard of. If it were chemistry, I'm sure a handful of different organisms would be feelin it, not just 1 or 2. 80 degrees isn't anything that's going to cause issues.
He has a 32 led biocube and only has the two corals, hermits, and snails. It probably would have taken an hour to dig through all our comments lol

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, ton of comments to read through lol. I think I got most of it though.

I just want to throw this out there: there's no shame in having poor water parameters. We've all been there, really. Try to report your parameters as "non-embellished" as possible lol. I only say this because there's nothing you reported about your water chemistry that stands out as being completely detrimental, at least detrimental enough for corals to bleach in the way yours did.

my advice:
-make sure you calibrate your refractometer before every use; yes, every use. (especially before premixing saltwater)
- invest in good test kits. (Salifert and Hanna checkers are great.)
-invest in a good auto top-off (Tunze nano is your best bet in my opinion)

to help your issue:
-Do enough water changes (over the next few weeks) until you've replaced all your current saltwater with new saltwater. (don't rush it)

Also, I would put the cyphastrea at the bottom of your tank and move it up as needed... just in case you're blasting it with too much light :)

Best of luck

Back