New coral, when can i feed?

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm new here, and I figured maybe I can get some help. I just got some zooanthids and green star polyps today. They haven't opened up all the way since they're new. But my question is, when should I feed them? Should I wait for them to fully open? What if they're not open in the next few days yet? I currently have reef roids as food as well.

Thanks!

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically feed my zoanthids about twice a week with reef roids and mysis shrimp (I try to be conservative with feeding in order to prevent spikes in phosphates and nitrates). I would give them another day or two to see if they open completely and then try feeding them.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! I never feed zoas. The light, fish poop and whatever leftover food they get is enough for them. Really they don’t need to be fed ;)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your GSP is no where near your main structure of rocks. It will take over your tank like the plague

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is not completely necessary to feed, I'd just give it some time until they're comfortable in your tank and open.

OP
OP
S

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically feed my zoanthids about twice a week with reef roids and mysis shrimp (I try to be conservative with feeding in order to prevent spikes in phosphates and nitrates). I would give them another day or two to see if they open completely and then try feeding them.
Thanks for the reply! Most of them are opening up today. Some however are still closed but I'll give it another couple days thanks so much!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back