New cycle Diatom bloom.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my Biocube 32 I have been cycling it with lights on to hopefully just get a jumpstart on coralline algae. I am in the middle of a pretty bad Diatom bloom it’s basically starting to cover everything this is normal right? When I get a clean up crew and the tank matures will it just naturally go away? Or should I just cycle the tank lights off?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should hand clean it back to new, it will not remove the filtration bac, the important part. making the tank itself kill and digest the mass internally of all that waste is only one option, it used to be the only permitted way. we stopped doing things that purposefully make a tank look bad in some cases, you're free to. cleaning cannot undo the progress of any cycle at all.

if awaiting X weeks for it to self correct and make room for new corals after the cycling date is how you want to proceed, you can experiment with the common options and dosers and animals. imagine the freedom though in reefing where even if the tank is 5 years old and staghorned with coral, you can just lift out a rock, set it on the tank edge and knife off a chunk of algae that will never have the chance to take over. rarely, cuc usually keeps things in check. you provide final say before takeover with noncompliant zones.

the rest of the world would let it invade the entire system, then dose fluconazole. choose your order of ops, you cannot harm filter progress at any stage of cleaning or water changing. there is no boost nor benefit to the system in letting it self invade and then hopefully come back, that practice comes solely from the dated belief that water changes can undo a cycle (water changes=cleaning)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so lets say you allow the diatoms, no cleaning of sand. they're normal, expected new hitchhikers. How far do you let the tank progress through green hair algae stages, or dinos before you intervene? The entire advising world will tell you to expect these events, and permit them.

the answer, the dividing line is this forum. spend an hour reading standout threads here. these are systems that progressed into full on invasions from being allowed to take on mass. if undoing that growth is so simple, then there wont be many challenges here.

read the examples merely out to page ten.

see how many pages and pages of algae wrecked tanks---> how can one head that off beforehand?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice I’d rather not wait until algae takes over everything so for now I’m going to cycle lights off and also how do you recommend taking the algae off the rocks?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift them out of the tank, rinse and lightly brush and guide the growths off, no harm at all.

all the rinsed stuff down the sink, nothing in the tank

use perhaps some drawn off tank water as the rinse; replace w new water as typical water change in/out this is the best base method in reefing because it works always. you can do less water changes once you are ready to dose and do other trickier methods. the bacteria allow air exposure up to 30 minutes and beyond, all the old material about bacteria is pretty much wrong.

i have videos of my whole nano reef being drained that long, including the corals in the air. Of course a typical water change is far less work am stating the extreme ends of access options. they used to tell us even entry level work would destabilize.

Last edited:

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift them out of the tank, rinse and lightly brush and guide the growths off

Out of curiosity, how do you remove large amounts of rock, or any rock, that you have set up as an aquascape? Do you essentially disassemble the rock and rebuild the aquascape whenever this happens? I haven’t even cycled my tank yet, but just trying to understand what to expect. Thanks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very much within the choice options when aquascaping a tank.

if we check out lots of algae challenges in the nuisance forum, we see the recurring theme of "I cant access rocks because:" and then reasons are listed.

its either a complex arch they took time to glue in place and in some tanks actual sps growth crosses rock to rock in huge whorls, they do not want to snap up the middle.

with nano reefs 20 gallons smaller its usually possible to just reach in and lift up an entire scape with two hands to work externally. much bigger than that and you will see creations in large tanks called bommie stacks where just groups of multiple live rocks are set in circles and the corals glued to them, those rocks can be access for many years before they get locked into place. Its not always about stacking live rock portions too big to access, or in shapes we never want to take apart.

if you can stand to experiment with total access systems you can put a hedge against loss that really ensures your time and money are safe when this tank ages into horns and antlers of coral, by expecting murphy's law to place some type of algae/invader at the very bottom of your aquascape you are planning ahead for things that destroys people's tanks in the nuisance algae forums. brainstorm ways you can begin reefing with accessibility for cleaning, you can slowly reduce that work over time as the rocks mature and take on coralline, coralline is algae-rejecting and balancing to a reef, we should work and garden early on and go hands off only later as it matures, this is my opinion to prevent reef loss and guessing about what will occur.
B

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey and one more question, along with the Diatoms there is also pink spots starting to appear on my rock is this some sort of other algae?

982DD39E-8B84-4937-92B6-50A07FF1AD13.jpeg 87796F40-2E37-44F9-83C1-D30F6703C0B0.jpeg 4CE017B5-F973-42AE-96F4-50A0C3801133.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey its hard to tell with the pics but that is very nice normal looking rock, feel free to watch growths come and go and occasionally experiment with cleaning them off outside the tank just to get ready for harder tests one day, access cleaning will be a normal habit

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better picture of what’s growing on the rocks this certain rock I bought live from my reputable LFS. Is this the start of Coralline algae or something else? It seems pretty early for coralline but I did but about 5 pounds of cycled live rock and put them in my tank with live sand and a whole bottle of Bio Spira.

91F00CA3-D525-44E0-9157-56B66BAD4ECC.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not coralline it's among the base material before it shows up, ideal aging progress here- not bone white etc

Aaroncrdr92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my Biocube 32 I have been cycling it with lights on to hopefully just get a jumpstart on coralline algae. I am in the middle of a pretty bad Diatom bloom it’s basically starting to cover everything this is normal right? When I get a clean up crew and the tank matures will it just naturally go away? Or should I just cycle the tank lights off?
"DISPOSE OF ALL FILTRATION MEDIA". Large water changes Does the job, more then 30% for brown diatoms blooms. Siphon Gravel or sand while draining water, that should losen all the algae, never clean your rock. Just the tank and sand. Use tap water with "Seachem Prime". When you add the water back. All the Algae should float to the top. Turn your filtration back on and circulation pumps, with new filter floss. Let it filter all the rest of the algae out of the tank when it clears. Replace filter media again. And there you go clean tank. Repeat another large water change in 2 weeks. Followed by small water changes after that. Invest into more marine plants or micro algae.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back