New cycling of saltwater aquarium; chaeto brown

Davisfamily4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently began my cycle 3 weeks ago for my saltwater aquarium. It’s an 80 gallon display with LS and LR, 20 gallon Sump. I have my refugium first and the chaeto is starting to Brown just a bit. A week ago, I inserted pods but prior to that the chaeto was super green. Why is brown starting to show?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!!
More than likely your chaeto is dying because it doesn’t have enough nutrients to stay alive. Since your tank is so young I would hold off on the chaeto for now until the tank matures a little longer!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
Do you have ammonia?
Chaeto, and almost all plants and algaes for that matter, will use whatever form of Nitrogen is most readily available to them. In a properly cycled tank the most previlant form of Nitrogen is Nitrates, but if Ammonia is present the chaeto will use the Nitrogen from that as well. It is prob in shock form the lack of nitrate and not able to process enough ammonia to keep it at the current size

OP
OP
Davisfamily4

Davisfamily4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, thx for the feedback everyone! I’ll hold off on the chaeto until it matures a bit more. I was thinking to cycle for 3 months? No lights, no fish other than 3 bio spira bottles to start nitrogen cycle and allowing it to marinate.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, thx for the feedback everyone! I’ll hold off on the chaeto until it matures a bit more. I was thinking to cycle for 3 months? No lights, no fish other than 3 bio spira bottles to start nitrogen cycle and allowing it to marinate.
That would be great. And if you can hold on for 3 months, you have all my admiration. I'd never have that level of self restraint. :eek:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back