New Disbar Anthias QT questions.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all. Disclaimer I have never kept anthias. I'm considering purchasing 7 disbar anthias to eventually add to my 180g DT. I have no aggressive fish so I'm good there. My question is about QT. I have a fish that tonight is going into my official QT that I use for copper treatment so that will be occupied. I have an established 40g breeder that has live rock and houses misfit nems and shrooms that go wandering in the DT and there are no fish. Is there any reason why I couldn't put the anthias in there to get them eating and make sure they are healthy. I figure I can dose prazi if needed and possibly other meds if need be that are reef safe. I'm not sure if I want to treat them with copper but if I do I can move them up to the QT tank later. I was basically going to follow the procedure outline HERE 4th post down. I was planning to go ahead and do the ruby rally dip when I add them, figure it can't hurt. Yay, nay, other recommendations? Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are tough to quarantine - they just don’t like bare QT. The biggest issue is handling protozoan issues. I prefer to use copper, I don’t think ruby reef dips will handle infectiobs

IMO - if you can hatch out brine nauplii and supplement feed that with a HUFA product, I think you’ll have better success getting dispars feeding well.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Greetings all. Disclaimer I have never kept anthias. I'm considering purchasing 7 disbar anthias to eventually add to my 180g DT. I have no aggressive fish so I'm good there. My question is about QT. I have a fish that tonight is going into my official QT that I use for copper treatment so that will be occupied. I have an established 40g breeder that has live rock and houses misfit nems and shrooms that go wandering in the DT and there are no fish. Is there any reason why I couldn't put the anthias in there to get them eating and make sure they are healthy. I figure I can dose prazi if needed and possibly other meds if need be that are reef safe. I'm not sure if I want to treat them with copper but if I do I can move them up to the QT tank later. I was basically going to follow the procedure outline HERE 4th post down. I was planning to go ahead and do the ruby rally dip when I add them, figure it can't hurt. Yay, nay, other recommendations? Thanks
I have to side with Jay- Ruby will address certain issues but take longer and is hit and miss. The regimen you mention- what works for one may or may not work for another. These anthias are sensitive to meds and need good quality water and steady supply of feedings.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are tough to quarantine - they just don’t like bare QT. The biggest issue is handling protozoan issues. I prefer to use copper, I don’t think ruby reef dips will handle infectiobs

IMO - if you can hatch out brine nauplii and supplement feed that with a HUFA product, I think you’ll have better success getting dispars feeding well.

Jay
I have what is needed to hatch the brine and looked into the HUFA as I didn't know what it was. Do you think the fish should be started on copper immediately or would get them eating be the first priority?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what is needed to hatch the brine and looked into the HUFA as I didn't know what it was. Do you think the fish should be started on copper immediately or would get them eating be the first priority?
I would stabilize them for 72 hours, and then treat them with a full dose of coppersafe - measuring that with a Hanna meter is best. Getting good quality dispars is the most important thing - do you have a good quality source?
Jay

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stabilize them for 72 hours, and then treat them with a full dose of coppersafe - measuring that with a Hanna meter is best. Getting good quality dispars is the most important thing - do you have a good quality source?
Jay
Thanks Jay. To be honest I do not know the source. I know who I pay but am not sure where they will ship from. I don't want to bring a vendor into the discussion for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured I would update this thread. My LFS was able to get 6 disbars from Quality Marine. Not sure if they are a good wholesaler or not? I made arrangements to get the fish when they arrived still in bags so they only had to go through one acclimation. I made sure they were eating then medicated with API general cure. I figured it would be a good start since it contains metro and prazi. After two doses I changed water and then added kanoplex. Now they are just being observed. They are eating very well and get fresh hatched brine nauplii at least twice a day sometimes more. I am also feeding cyclops and they are being fed 4-5 times a day. I haven't been able to get them to eat frozen yet or masstick. They have been in the tank for 16 days so far and are all eating well, tho picky on what they eat so I give them plenty of that. I'm hesitant to start copper as I have read mixed results with anthias and copper. I have an small orange shoulder tang in a separate QT that has yet to start copper. I'm thinking if I do treat the anthias I will move the tang over and treat them together. I have copper power to use and a hanna tester.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured I would update this thread. My LFS was able to get 6 disbars from Quality Marine. Not sure if they are a good wholesaler or not? I made arrangements to get the fish when they arrived still in bags so they only had to go through one acclimation. I made sure they were eating then medicated with API general cure. I figured it would be a good start since it contains metro and prazi. After two doses I changed water and then added kanoplex. Now they are just being observed. They are eating very well and get fresh hatched brine nauplii at least twice a day sometimes more. I am also feeding cyclops and they are being fed 4-5 times a day. I haven't been able to get them to eat frozen yet or masstick. They have been in the tank for 16 days so far and are all eating well, tho picky on what they eat so I give them plenty of that. I'm hesitant to start copper as I have read mixed results with anthias and copper. I have an small orange shoulder tang in a separate QT that has yet to start copper. I'm thinking if I do treat the anthias I will move the tang over and treat them together. I have copper power to use and a hanna tester.
Quality Marine has been around for decades, they have pretty good fish.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back