New Discoveries of the Relationship Between Corals & Bacteria

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the relationship between corals and bacteria are becoming a hot subject in the scientific world and a lot of publications on this are coming out every week. This week, we came across a recent paper describing the dynamic biological relationship between corals and marine bacteria in the journal Nature. The Aquarickettsia bacterium is […]
Source

Continue reading...

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the relationship between corals and bacteria are becoming a hot subject in the scientific world and a lot of publications on this are coming out every week. This week, we came across a recent paper describing the dynamic biological relationship between corals and marine bacteria in the journal Nature. The Aquarickettsia bacterium is […]
Source

Continue reading...

Great find, this paper and the related papers have been consuming all my reading time lately. This may turn out to be as important to the biology of corals, as the related bacterium Wolbachia is for the biology of nematodes and insects. At the very least, its a very widespread and previously under-appreciated coral pathogen.

We've been discussing this in this thread too.

In my first survey of 20 tanks, we found this Aquarickettsia rohweri in 10% of them. I can't want to see what the ongoing broader survey turns up.

I wonder... how prevalent is this bug in the hobby? Is it more common in wild or tank raised corals? How can it be treated without wiping out the whole tank's microbial community?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back