OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some of you guys were asking me about the counter top, so here is a close up of how I made it.

The counter is a 9 ply baltic birch plywood; Clear coated to seal against humidity, then sprayed the top with a truck bed liner paint. came out tough and water resistant.
RVIU7872.JPG

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Refugium is attached to the system now, and is working just the way I imagined it would, I added a manifold to the M2 pump and have it flowing in and draining behind the pump where there is the least amount of flow to the sump, keeping a good flow throughout the mechanical filtration system.

If you wondering why I wanted to run the refugium separate to the sump; I find it much easier to maintain the sump as a mechanical filter by itself, much easier to clean and leaves plenty of space incase I want add more equipment. Don't have to worry about the macro algae going to any of the pumps, no light leaks to the other sections of the sump.. I can add animals to the refugium to help maintain the biological ecosystem, and makes a cool display tank at night when its running. I believe having a 20 Gallon refugium with a 60 gallon sump is Ideal for a 100 gallon tank.

IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread, I added some more life into the tank. My friend was able to get a hold of some wild caught sea horses. to put into my refugium tank. The male was gravid and did not make it a day, the female was healthy, and is only eating live food, not interested in frozen mysis shrimp... I saw her picking at the pods, and amphipods on the rocks.

any advice on the seahorses is appreciated, as I know very little, I was not expecting or even planning on having sea horses but I guess it happened, and I couldnt say no.

I think this seahorse is from florida if Im not wrong.
IMG_3807 (1).jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse need lower water temperature than most reef tanks and require feeding 3 times a day.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank runs at 75-76. sps and inverts.. this seahorse is doing well. what temps do they require
I'm not an expert on this. I just know that they require a lot of care and very specific conditions. Most of the time they are kept in tanks meant for only them.

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked up a fungia , this is the long tentacle type, it’s my favorite coral in the tank so far.

Attachments

• 0C85A8A9-7773-4CBC-A503-07B55FF4D131.jpeg
    0C85A8A9-7773-4CBC-A503-07B55FF4D131.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 0B7F971D-3CFE-4700-AAC2-D8BAD05C68F0.jpeg
    0B7F971D-3CFE-4700-AAC2-D8BAD05C68F0.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This week, I will be attaching this 40 Gallon Frag tank on to this DIY budget build System!! probably going to move the chiller to the other side. This frag tank was purchased for $100, from a store that went under. It is 3/4" acrylic, has a built-in overflow, and 2 returns, Its Used, but in excellent condition. I welded and painted the stand of course. I decided to opt out of powder coating the frame, its very expensive and was not worth it on a frame this small that is not carrying too much water in my opinion.

If your wondering why there is construction paper over the lower portion of the display tank, its because I have a refugium that I'm running a night cycle, and my seahorse needs to know when she should wake up.... Still need to cut out panels with windows on them..

I upgraded from the china LED lights to xr15 pro. I will add 2 more in the next couple of months, and will use an aluminum bar to hang them.
IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

Zarabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good there, it always starts with one thank and you should know more is to come. I am thinking of getting some seahorses again as I will be buying a new tank soon. I am looking forward to watch the progress on this system.

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got an RBTA in the display tank inside a basket. Planning on moving it to the frag tank. ive heard they can get demolished from powerheads

NOQS7837.JPG

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Updates to the system:
Frag Tank is now connected.
Custom Light mount I cut out on my cnc machine. (carbon fiber & black oak hardwood)
Rescued a maroon clown who kept biting his owner.
RBTA did not want to stay in the basket, so it attached itself to the rock in the DT and the maroon is now hosting it..
moved the small clown to the frag tank, so he doesnt get picked on by the maroon.
seahorse lived for 4 months, was wild caught, and a fully grown adult.. did not want to eat frozen, and so I was only feeding live ...

LHAY8251.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feb is the 1 year mark since I dropped the saltwater along with Dr tims bacteria to start off my reef tank, picture shows how it has matured since then, and I have not done much as far as loading it up with corals, I so have some SPS in there and the reef is sucking up calcium like crazy, due to the trochus snails spawning and growing little babies everywhere.

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally built my frame according to the shape of my overflow in the corner,,,,what a pain,, I had to made these custom 125 degree window screen frame ends, bit in the end it came out fantastic!!! I love my 3d printer!!!

IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back