New EB632 announced for International market!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune today revealed their new EB632 for the international market using 220-240v, and announced the EB6 will be discontinued. See the announcement video here:

EB632.png

I updated my Apex Hardware Overview article to include the EB632, and to note the discontinuation of the older EB6.

Last edited:

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally can't wait now just need to save pennies, will this coincide with the international supply of GRO and SKY I wonder?

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also we have to expect a price increase over the eb6 (which is being phased out) possibly a significant one even tho NS said they will be offered to the distributor at the same price as the USA eb832 and they the UK/EU will end up costing more so we don't have a price yet? it was nice to hear a bit about the supply chain issues so we have some idea as to why the GRO hasn't been seen outside the USA yet. Hope all this crazy time sods off now there appears to be restrictions being eased in many places... Who knows tho

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it appears that it also has the 3 1link ports and 2 controllable 24V accessory ports.

I wonder why they made it a 6 outlet strip instead of an 8 outlet strip - Perhaps the size of the plugs/outlets?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it appears that it also has the 3 1link ports and 2 controllable 24V accessory ports.

I wonder why they made it a 6 outlet strip instead of an 8 outlet strip - Perhaps the size of the plugs/outlets?
Yes, the "32" in "EB832" and "EB632" is because they have 3 x 1Link ports and 2 x 24v accessory ports. The reason they went with 6 outlets was due to the larger size of UK and Schuko plugs to fit into roughly the same footprint as the US EB832 with NEMA 5-15 outlets.
1627532419254.png
1627532435648.png

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the "32" in "EB832" and "EB632" is because they have 3 x 1Link ports and 2 x 24v accessory ports. The reason they went with 6 outlets was due to the larger size of UK and Schuko plugs to fit into roughly the same footprint as the US EB832 with NEMA 5-15 outlets.
1627532419254.png
1627532435648.png
Any word on why this took so long? I understand that they have to get separate approvals for the European market, but there should have been pretty minimal work involved to change the design, and having seen the inside, I know many (if not all) of the components they used were already rated to 240V, so 5 years seems exceptionally long.

I think Neptune did a disservice to their European and Australian customers by waiting so long. They also likely ended up hurting their market share there as well.

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong but this product is an insult for us (or at least for me). They release a product with 6 year delay and it is less than the original. This should never been released. I don't care about their limitations or whatever problems they had, we discovered DC and AC current loooong time ago and controllable plugs are not rocket science. Also, don't try and mention approvals or legislation were complicated/long as we are not stupid.

I am wondering if we can we expect the same failures form this version, as the US version?...or we got a few extra "international" ones that we should care about? It is clearly by design that you don't care about other markets, this looks like a desperate cash grab. Just hear this out..."they went 6 ports because they are larger and could not fit", so they actually had to DO something about it, like, I don't know, develop a product for other markets maybe?

I am sorry by the tone of this message but, for me, is in par with your attitude for non US markets. You (Neptune if you are reading) get treated the same as you treat your customers.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong but this product is an insult for us (or at least for me). They release a product with 6 year delay and it is less than the original. This should never been released. I don't care about their limitations or whatever problems they had, we discovered DC and AC current loooong time ago and controllable plugs are not rocket science. Also, don't try and mention approvals or legislation were complicated/long as we are not stupid.

I am wondering if we can we expect the same failures form this version, as the US version?...or we got a few extra "international" ones that we should care about? It is clearly by design that you don't care about other markets, this looks like a desperate cash grab. Just hear this out..."they went 6 ports because they are larger and could not fit", so they actually had to DO something about it, like, I don't know, develop a product for other markets maybe?

I am sorry by the tone of this message but, for me, is in par with your attitude for non US markets. You (Neptune if you are reading) get treated the same as you treat your customers.
How is it less than the original? The previous EB6‘s only had 6 outlets. The EB632 also has 6 outlets, adds current monitoring, 1 link outlets and controllable 24V outlets. I agree that it shouldn’t have taken so long, but I can’t understand your other complaints.

The main failure I’m aware of with the EB832s has been the small 12V DC supply module that supplies the power for the relays. I know they updated that and made some other changes in the U.S. version a few years ago. I don’t know if the failure rate decreased or not but I presume the would have used the same updated supply in the international versions.

Also, In case you didn’t see the announcement, Neptune just Merged with Bulk Reef Supply, so I wouldn’t necessarily count on someone seeing this post.

Last edited:

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepydoc
I know that the previous shuko version also was 6 outputs, but that is still less than the 8 outputs on the US models. I've been designing electronics long enough to know that there is no need to used different electronics in a 110v version or a 230v. So the only physical difference is the outlet itself.

I finally got mine with the schuko plugs, and the power connections are working fine. But on the other hand, the power readings are really bad, it tells me it uses about 50 Watts while nothing was even connected, it also says that the voltage is 254 Volt while it really is only 230

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepydoc
I know that the previous shuko version also was 6 outputs, but that is still less than the 8 outputs on the US models. I've been designing electronics long enough to know that there is no need to used different electronics in a 110v version or a 230v. So the only physical difference is the outlet itself.

I finally got mine with the schuko plugs, and the power connections are working fine. But on the other hand, the power readings are really bad, it tells me it uses about 50 Watts while nothing was even connected, it also says that the voltage is 254 Volt while it really is only 230
The EB832 and older EB models can be calibrated when they are reporting incorrect power usage numbers. I don’t know yet if this same procedure works for the new EB632, so perhaps you might want to confirm with Neptune Support before trying it. The instructions are here:

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was the previous EB6 - they are being completely consistent. The GHL only has 6 outlets, too (with no DC outputs.)

The EB832 and older EB models can be calibrated when they are reporting incorrect power usage numbers. I don’t know yet if this same procedure works for the new EB632, so perhaps you might want to confirm with Neptune Support before trying it. The instructions are here:

I'm working on this with Neptune support indeed, and they helped me calibrate the wattage readings. Voltage reading is still to high, but I'm waiting for the next step of Neptune support

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back