New Fauna Marine AEFW X

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for about a week and a half. I can tell you that when I put it in the first time, I saw all the AEFW detach and float around. They recommend that you continue use for 4-6 weeks to ensure that all AEFW and eggs are killed. It is far too early to tell, but I have not lost any more corals since I began using. Further, the number of AEFW that comes off when I baste has significantly reduced to very few. It is too early to tell, but short term, it has definitely at least stopped the AEFW from doing any more damage.
Sounds promising. Keep us updated how it goes.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for about a week and a half. I can tell you that when I put it in the first time, I saw all the AEFW detach and float around. They recommend that you continue use for 4-6 weeks to ensure that all AEFW and eggs are killed. It is far too early to tell, but I have not lost any more corals since I began using. Further, the number of AEFW that comes off when I baste has significantly reduced to very few. It is too early to tell, but short term, it has definitely at least stopped the AEFW from doing any more damage.
Amazing! I initially thought I had AEFW, but now I'm not sure if I actually have them or if i'm just paranoid (saw what looked like a bite mark on my valida colony, all my other acros seem completely healthy). Bought a bottle of AEFW X and started dosing on Dec 4. Nothing has changed, everything still looks healthy. Even my clam is unbothered so it's definitely reef safe. I'm going to dose it for like 8 weeks just to be certain. I can't speak on if it works or not, as I've never seen a flatworm in my tank. Please update us on how your treatment goes, I'd love to know!

Last edited:

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed it killing any other types of worms?
I have not. I can tell you for sure that it doesn't kill ""regular" flatworms because no matter what I do, my elegance always has a couple on it. Further, AEFW-X says not to dose any other meds with it at the same time (which is pretty general). Anyway, I reached out to Fauna Marin to see if I could still dose Flatworm Stop, and they told me that Flatworm Stop and AEFW-X target different flatworms so it was fine. So I would assume that it does not.... but again, will let you guys know if I find anything else interesting.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note that I found it very interesting that Fauna Marin states that Acropora valida or the classic Bali Tricolor are "more often and massively attacked by the worms" (which isn't necessarily new news). Therefore, they recommend putting one of those acros in the tank as "bait." After 3-4 days, remove the "bait" acro and dip it in "The Dip" (Fauna Marin's dip) to kill adult flatworms. After the "Dip," you just put the coral back in the tank to chum the waters again. It would seem that they are pretty confident in the effectiveness of AEFW-X...

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note that I found it very interesting that Fauna Marin states that Acropora valida or the classic Bali Tricolor are "more often and massively attacked by the worms" (which isn't necessarily new news). Therefore, they recommend putting one of those acros in the tank as "bait." After 3-4 days, remove the "bait" acro and dip it in "The Dip" (Fauna Marin's dip) to kill adult flatworms. After the "Dip," you just put the coral back in the tank to chum the waters again. It would seem that they are pretty confident in the effectiveness of AEFW-X...
The retailer I purchased the AEFW X from said they did a trial on 250 different reefs and a coral farm during testing. According to them, the AEFW X worked on all trials, some took longer a longer time period than other though if they even missed one dose. The retailer I bought it from is also doing some tests and it seems like it's working (too early to tell if it actually eradicated the AEFW).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like this interrupts the life cycle which leads to eradication eventually? ...kinda like the other treatments that have worked to date. This is somewhat promising.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I can tell you for sure that it doesn't kill ""regular" flatworms because no matter what I do, my elegance always has a couple on it. Further, AEFW-X says not to dose any other meds with it at the same time (which is pretty general). Anyway, I reached out to Fauna Marin to see if I could still dose Flatworm Stop, and they told me that Flatworm Stop and AEFW-X target different flatworms so it was fine. So I would assume that it does not.... but again, will let you guys know if I find anything else interesting.

Sounds like they confused flatworm stop with flatworm exit, if so their statement makes more sense.

eidels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am still at the first bottle. I only have a mild infestation, no worms are blown of corals, so I hope there are only a few.
Not totally sure if the capsaicin does anything other than preservation? Maybe yes maybe not :). Selfmade wormwood solution tends to mold after a while at least at room temperature and unfiltered (JDA recipe). Only my guess but who knows maybe capsaicin is the game changer...and other unknown ingredients.
Great thanks for sharing. I ordered AEFW X for sps dominant tank. There is little in english on what to expect. I emailed fauna marin but it was a bit sketchy; response in german. Should I expect any changes in alkalinity or phosphate uptake? Should I stop GFO(feric oxide?) Is there any experience using this with KZ flatwormstop? Any observations would be helpful thanks! I will post mine

eidels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any changes in alk or PO4? polyp extension of other coral?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any changes in alk or PO4? polyp extension of other coral?
No, all parameters are remained in line. I have not seen any swing whatsoever. I will say that last night I was basting my Cali Tort and I did see some bite marks at the base. This was a coral that was previously effected, but still there were some marks. I can say that as I continued to baste the entire coral (its probably 6" with multiple branches), the bite marks did not appear to be quickly progressing up the base to the branches of the coral as they had in the past. But some AEFW did blow off into the water column.

Again, I am only two weeks into the treatment and thus, not even halfway through the suggested treatment period. But my experience reaffirms the importance of continuing the treatment for at least 4 weeks (although I plan on doing at least 6 weeks with double the dose (per the instructions) and then transitioning the the standard dose for the foreseeable future after that).

eidels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all parameters are remained in line. I have not seen any swing whatsoever. I will say that last night I was basting my Cali Tort and I did see some bite marks at the base. This was a coral that was previously effected, but still there were some marks. I can say that as I continued to baste the entire coral (its probably 6" with multiple branches), the bite marks did not appear to be quickly progressing up the base to the branches of the coral as they had in the past. But some AEFW did blow off into the water column.

Again, I am only two weeks into the treatment and thus, not even halfway through the suggested treatment period. But my experience reaffirms the importance of continuing the treatment for at least 4 weeks (although I plan on doing at least 6 weeks with double the dose (per the instructions) and then transitioning the the standard dose for the foreseeable future after that).
That’s is great info thanks! Is it part of the treatment to blast them off the coral? I read where it causes them to detach as well as prevents them from maturing.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is great info thanks! Is it part of the treatment to blast them off the coral? I read where it causes them to detach as well as prevents them from maturing.
Fauna Marin recommends basting while doing the treatment to "blast them off the coral" like you said. As you know, this is one of the first things people recommend when you mention AEFW. It is definitely worth flushing them out and hoping that your fish eat them in the process. Although they can live days in the water column when they are detached from the acro, I figured at an absolute minimum, it at least gives the acro that you blew them off a little breather from being eaten. :rolleyes:

Further I have attached a link to Fauna Marin's HTU for AEFW-X if you are interested in taking a look.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please keep updating -- good or bad. I am now... 6 months into KZ Flatworm Stop plus other measures like dipping and various predators. I am in good shape. Certainly managed but hard to forcefully say eradicated. Plus, I cannot say which method really made the difference.

simple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like this interrupts the life cycle which leads to eradication eventually? ...kinda like the other treatments that have worked to date. This is somewhat promising.
That's what they Claim. I am at the und of the Second bottle and can't See any bite Marks. Some still find Worms after the Second bottle. I will use a third one for safety reasons and than See what will Happen in the Long Run. Most PPL def See a reduction or eradication. A Side effect to some is more PE. Beside that there are no Other ,,Bad,, effects.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens to most using the KZ stuff or even a home brew wormwood... eradication over time for most and everybody with coral relief.

I will give my normal caution not to always pay attention to everybody who has opinions on this stuff. Some that post don't know the difference in flatworm types or treatment types and probably should not be posting. As with the other wormwood based solutions for real AEFW, nearly everybody who treated the right kind of worm and did the treatment right had very good results. Nobody had any issues that I know of, so it is safe.

The few that have not had total eradication don't seem to have a glaring common denominator, but it appears that maybe stopping GAC, ozone and UV might be a good idea, if in use. The patient zero tank that I treated had a large skimmer which we never shut off - he did not have any GAC, Ozone or UV.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens to most using the KZ stuff or even a home brew wormwood... eradication over time for most and everybody with coral relief.

I will give my normal caution not to always pay attention to everybody who has opinions on this stuff. Some that post don't know the difference in flatworm types or treatment types and probably should not be posting. As with the other wormwood based solutions for real AEFW, nearly everybody who treated the right kind of worm and did the treatment right had very good results. Nobody had any issues that I know of, so it is safe.

The few that have not had total eradication don't seem to have a glaring common denominator, but it appears that maybe stopping GAC, ozone and UV might be a good idea, if in use. The patient zero tank that I treated had a large skimmer which we never shut off - he did not have any GAC, Ozone or UV.
I run some GAC but just a couple hours each morning. No UV or ozone.

I have dropped back to 1X the recommended dose now as the stuff is priced a bit rich for 300G system. Every other week or so, I will dip some of their favorite colonies briefly and baste. Nothing since sometime in August. I dipped a huge colony yesterday that hasn't been dipped since August and it was clean.

If I could just figure out how to solve for vermetids in my display. I've gotten through every other pest in the book but these. I dropped in 18 bumblebee snails last night. We'll see just how carnivorous those tiny things can be. I don't know how they work, but I hope they work. Any insights on vermetids, I am all ears.

Back