New Fauna Marine AEFW X

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started using aefw x this week (5 day), i saw when the lights are off, to see aefw floats, and after some research, (and as others mentioned) it does not kill the flatworm but interrupts their life cycle (reproduction and transformation), d or my question: do we have to kill the existing larvae? because I imagine that they continue to eat the accropora even if they do not reproduce.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started using aefw x this week (5 day), i saw when the lights are off, to see aefw floats, and after some research, (and as others mentioned) it does not kill the flatworm but interrupts their life cycle (reproduction and transformation), d or my question: do we have to kill the existing larvae? because I imagine that they continue to eat the accropora even if they do not reproduce.
I have not read yet what the adult life span is, but given the rate at which they reproduce, it must be short. I would guess weeks to months -- not years.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is research by Kate Rawlinson, and others, about life cycle and all kinds of neat things with AEFW - you can google for them.

In general, think 3-6 months for a worm to live a good life with food, depending on food and stuff... with 1-2 months before a juvi is ready to lay new eggs. A worm will die in about a month without food. This fits with the 6+ month dosing cycle if the old ones have to die of old age childless.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the point of the treatment is to prevent larval development which in turn assures no new eggs are laid. The treatment also stops the adult flatworms growth and weakens them. With regards to your question, I guess the answer would be that it would still be wise to dip the infested coral around 2 weeks time from your previous dip to ensure that you remove the existing larvae that cannot reproduce (but as you mention, could still eat acros). Thus, if the AEFW-X is working as advertised, the dip will of the acro will kill the existing flatworms and the eggs that were previously laid will hopefully have a significant reduction in the larval development. So after 4-6 weeks, if all works according to the plan, the AEFW are eradicated.

But again, back to your question, I think it is always better to be safe by dipping around 13 days after your last dip at least one more time after you started the treatment.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can pour liters of it into your tank without success. the same applies to your RTN / STN X. I used both and found it to be a pure waste of money!

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a KZ user, did you try KZ Flatworm Stop? Did it help?
Yes, I only use Flatwormstop in conjunction with Coral Booster. But the remedy does not help against Flattworms either. What is very positive is that injured SPS regenerate themselves very quickly and again form a basis very quickly. That's why I like to use it.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I only use Flatwormstop in conjunction with Coral Booster. But the remedy does not help against Flattworms either. What is very positive is that injured SPS regenerate themselves very quickly and again form a basis very quickly. That's why I like to use it.
I threw the kitchen sink at my infestation and it seems to be holding.
KZ FW Stop
KX Coral Boost
6-line X 3
Springeri damsels X 6
KCl dipping weekly for three months

Have not seen aefw since August.

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
questions for those who dose the aefw x: since I dose this, my skimmer is half-filled every day (the collection cup), is this your case?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
questions for those who dose the aefw x: since I dose this, my skimmer is half-filled every day (the collection cup), is this your case?
That has not been an issue for me. I have not seen the slightest change in any parameters or anything else along those lines. My only change has been a decrease in the number of AEFW and some of the corals that were effected showing signs of growing back...

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has not been an issue for me. I have not seen the slightest change in any parameters or anything else along those lines. My only change has been a decrease in the number of AEFW and some of the corals that were effected showing signs of growing back...
me too, no new grinds or eggs, except that the skimmer filled every day.

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think that the fact :that my skimmer is filled every day, it neutralizes the product and therefore affects the results?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think that the fact :that my skimmer is filled every day, it neutralizes the product and therefore affects the results?

No. I think if that were the case (or if there was something as common as a over skimming) that had a significant negative impact on the treatment, there would be a warning or little blurb on the bottle or HTU stating that over skimming will decrease the effectiveness of the treatment. I believe some of their other products state that the skimmer should be turned off during dosing. Also, the instructions specifically say to turn of UV, but nothing else. That’s just my two cents...

If you do not see any improvement, I would message them on Facebook to inquire further. They have been pretty responsive to my questions.

scott711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with AEFW-X a few weeks ago. Per the directions, I turned off my UV and kept my skimmer on. I also lowered the temp of the tank to 75 to slow the metabolism of the worms. Initially I was dipping some of my corals, but my tank is pretty well established and I have some big colonies that I can't pull of rocks.

The one thing I noticed off the bat were some corals were more sensitive to it than others. I lost my red dragon colony shortly after I started dosing and some of my corals have lightened up a lot. I think it has been around 3 weeks and I have been checking for eggs ~ twice a week and I haven't seen any in about a week.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with AEFW-X a few weeks ago. Per the directions, I turned off my UV and kept my skimmer on. I also lowered the temp of the tank to 75 to slow the metabolism of the worms. Initially I was dipping some of my corals, but my tank is pretty well established and I have some big colonies that I can't pull of rocks.

The one thing I noticed off the bat were some corals were more sensitive to it than others. I lost my red dragon colony shortly after I started dosing and some of my corals have lightened up a lot. I think it has been around 3 weeks and I have been checking for eggs ~ twice a week and I haven't seen any in about a week.
Eggs are so hard to spot. At least with my middle aged eyes. I have to pull the acros from the tank and inspect with a lit lens to find them.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree that eggs are borderline impossible to spot! Interesting regarding your loss of corals (and I am sorry to hear that). I wonder if it was the AEFW-X, or something else. I am not saying that it didn't cause you to lose your corals, but I have not seen any other reports regarding loss of corals due to the treatment. Then again, there are not a lot of people using it at this point since its so new. Keep us posted, I am interested to hear about your experiences. All tanks are different, but I have been dosing for one month today and I can honestly tell you that I haven't seen even the slightest sign of stress on any corals or any change in the overall parameters (as I said earlier). However, people said the same thing for Vibrant and I made the mistake of dosing it for a week until my corals started to die!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you tried basting potentially afflicted colonies with RODI to see if any aefw come off? That became one part of my treatment method, just to get the wrasses and damsels to feed on them once they hit the water column.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back