Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with AEFW-X a few weeks ago. Per the directions, I turned off my UV and kept my skimmer on. I also lowered the temp of the tank to 75 to slow the metabolism of the worms. Initially I was dipping some of my corals, but my tank is pretty well established and I have some big colonies that I can't pull of rocks.

The one thing I noticed off the bat were some corals were more sensitive to it than others. I lost my red dragon colony shortly after I started dosing and some of my corals have lightened up a lot. I think it has been around 3 weeks and I have been checking for eggs ~ twice a week and I haven't seen any in about a week.
I also have a red dragon, I noticed no stress on the corals, moreover I would say that they continue to grow, for a long time but it grows ... also I scrutinized the corals every night and day, no trace or eggs, on the other hand, I have noticed from time to time a flattworm which floats, especially when I blow on rock and corals. And often 5 millimeter flatworms, but like 1 alone each time ....

Also as I mentioned before, I have to empty my skimmer every day.

scott711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am good at spotting the eggs. I have a jewelers magnifying glass as well as a larger magnifying glass with a bright LED light that I use. Of the ones I have taken out, I haven't seen anything recently(eggs, bite marks).

When I first started noticing that I had AEFWs, and was dipping, I would cover eggs with superglue. Someone might have mentioned this before, but tricolor's seem to be magnets for AEFW's. Either I caught them early enough with the dosing of AEFW-x or they were not interested in those because I have 2 colonies that were not phased by the dosing or by the actual worms. The corals are doing fine and have maintained their color. The only corals that have lightened were the corals that were actually infected with AEFWs. The lightening of those corals could be due to any number of things: the stress of the AEFW, dipping, the dosing or a combination. I have maintained very stable parameters during the process. I was worried that my alk would drop with the decrease in growth and the loss of some coral.

I just check last night and corals seem to be doing ok. I haven't pulled any out to do another inspection (probably this weekend) to see if I am able to find any eggs or worms.

I don't know if I mentioned too that I have done some basting of the corals with a powerhead. I also have several wrasses, shrimp, crabs that maybe helping keeping the population/breeding of them down.

I haven't had to empty my skimmer either. I don't feed that heavily, but I do have a larger bioload (both fish and coral)

The AEFW-x gets dosed at the same time everyday.

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I breathed with a pear and with a pump on the accropora, lots of aefw they are detached, I was able to pick up some one but the other went on the sand, can these last go up to the accropora?. thank you

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're in the tank they'll find your acros. You need to completely eradicate them.

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing AEFW X for a bout a month now. It was mainly my tricolor that had them bad, but I also found them on a few frags as well. I have been weekly dipping the Tri colony and for the past couple of weeks there has been no signs of flatworm. I will continue to dose this stuff for at least another month to be sure... But my feeling is that it is actually working.. I just eradicated White bugs the other day, so I almost feel pest free at this point. The PE is great now and everything is gaining back color.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted post a little update. I am 5 weeks through the treatment and believe that the AEFW have been pretty much eradicated. I am not getting any blowing off the corals when I baste anymore. Further, the corals that were being attacked with visible bitemarks have not shown any further signs of being attacked since I began dosing. My acros have all colored up nicely and are definitely growing more than they have in the past (although this is due to other factors as well and not just AEFW-X). I am going to continue to use the double dose for another week or two and then move to the regular precautionary dose for the immediate future.

Bottom line, I am very confident that AEFW-X without a doubt stopped the AEFW from continuing to attack my acros. I am also confident that it definitely killed any adult AEFWs in the tank. Can I say that it completely eradicated the AEFW, probably not at this point (even though I see no signs). But I think there is definitely reason to believe that it may have.... We will see!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted post a little update. I am 5 weeks through the treatment and believe that the AEFW have been pretty much eradicated. I am not getting any blowing off the corals when I baste anymore. Further, the corals that were being attacked with visible bitemarks have not shown any further signs of being attacked since I began dosing. My acros have all colored up nicely and are definitely growing more than they have in the past (although this is due to other factors as well and not just AEFW-X). I am going to continue to use the double dose for another week or two and then move to the regular precautionary dose for the immediate future.

Bottom line, I am very confident that AEFW-X without a doubt stopped the AEFW from continuing to attack my acros. I am also confident that it definitely killed any adult AEFWs in the tank. Can I say that it completely eradicated the AEFW, probably not at this point (even though I see no signs). But I think there is definitely reason to believe that it may have.... We will see!
That is great news indeed. Shaping up like there are now possibly 3 different ways to manage/kill these things.

AEFW-X
Lanthanum Chloride
KZ Flatworm Stop plus the kitchen-sink-predator approach

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you make water changes (depending on your habit) while doing the treatment, I usually do one water change per month, then I don't know if I should wait for this time.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you make water changes (depending on your habit) while doing the treatment, I usually do one water change per month, then I don't know if I should wait for this time.
I did not change anything that I normally did aside from dosing the AEFW-X around the same time (as best I could) each morning. I do weekly water changes as well. Thinking about it now, I actually did more water changes this past month than I have ever done before. I started a little frag tank, so I have been pulling 4-5 gallons of water from the DT a couple times a week (in addition to my larger water change) to put in the frag tank. So if anything, based upon my perceived effectiveness of AEFW-X during that time, it would seem to strongly support the notion that water changes do no adversely impact the treatment. If it was me (and feel free to disregard), I would keep the same schedule I had before I began the treatment. I think that it is important to maintain stability so the acros can heal.

On a side note, and to avoid posting twice in a row, as @ScottB mentioned, people have seen success using Flatworm Stop as well. I did state earlier in this thread, that I am also using Flatworm Stop in conjunction with AEFW-X. Although I cannot say if the combination helped (or potentially hurt) the decline of the AEFW in my tank. Finally, in an effort to be give everyone as much info as possible, I will say that I have multiple wrasses (melanurus, leopard, six line, hooded fairy, redfin) and a pipefish. They were all in the tank before the AEFW outbreak...

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battled flatworms back in 2014! It was a pain.. Had to dip everything for almost six months to get rid of it.

I was just reading the description of the product and it says: AEFW X works specifically against Acropora flatworms (“AEFW” and “NAEFW”). Any one know what NAEFW is!? Is that some sort of new pest that we don't know about? Couldnt find any details anywhere..

Dunki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battled flatworms back in 2014! It was a pain.. Had to dip everything for almost six months to get rid of it.

I was just reading the description of the product and it says: AEFW X works specifically against Acropora flatworms (“AEFW” and “NAEFW”). Any one know what NAEFW is!? Is that some sort of new pest that we don't know about? Couldnt find any details anywhere..
I'm assuming "non" aefw. Polyclad, planaria.... Could be off base.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know what NAEFW is!? Is that some sort of new pest that we don't know about? Couldnt find any details anywhere..
From Fauna Marine

AEFW X IS EFFECTIVE AGAINST:​

• Prosthiostomum acroporae (Acropora eating flatworm)
  • New AEFW flatworm („NAEFW“)

Sincerely Lasse

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a newly discovered AEFW. Just what we needed.

On the bright side, it appears they can be managed by the same tools we use against the old ones. KZ FW Stop, KCl, Lanthanum chloride (according to Coral Magazine).

Here we go:

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: fourth week of treatment, no accropora are touched bitten or affected, except the sunset millipora, I took it out to inspect and dip, there were eggs and 15 flattworms which were detached once diped, I have cut some healty pieces that I glued on two plugue and the rest in the trash. it looks like the drug protects accropora but not millipora.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: fourth week of treatment, no accropora are touched bitten or affected, except the sunset millipora, I took it out to inspect and dip, there were eggs and 15 flattworms which were detached once diped, I have cut some healty pieces that I glued on two plugue and the rest in the trash. it looks like the drug protects accropora but not millipora.
I found my flatworms were very picky about hosts. Out of maybe 50 frags & colonies, they really tortured only 5-6 over and over.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I'm hopeful. Please, everyone who has taken the plunge, please report your findings. Saltwateraquarium.com is now offering it for sale in the US, so I'm hoping this increases the amount of people using it and reports of it's success (or failure).

Fathicham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I'm hopeful. Please, everyone who has taken the plunge, please report your findings. Saltwateraquarium.com is now offering it for sale in the US, so I'm hoping this increases the amount of people using it and reports of it's success (or failure).
I think (personal observation): the drug makes the accropora inedible or puts a film on the skin of the accropora which makes them difficult to be attacked, millipora because of its structure, makes the drug difficult to be applied. just a guess), I am in my 6th week, since I threw the infested sunset millipora (15 worms, and egg) I have no bites or nothing, my corals are growing well, open well, I have breathed on the accropora , no worms came off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back