New Fauna Marine AEFW X

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, I have now switched to the maintenance only dose. I had RTN on a nice colony (completely unrelated to AEFW-X) due to a clogged Calc dosing line that I neglected (thereby causing a swing which only effected one colony). However, as I was not sure what the root cause was at the beginning, I dipped all the corals around the RTN'd colony to ensure that there was not some type of bacteria spreading. Long story short, no AEFW dropped off any of the acros that I dipped. I at least had that going for me...

Colinpologordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for about a week and a half. I can tell you that when I put it in the first time, I saw all the AEFW detach and float around. They recommend that you continue use for 4-6 weeks to ensure that all AEFW and eggs are killed. It is far too early to tell, but I have not lost any more corals since I began using. Further, the number of AEFW that comes off when I baste has significantly reduced to very few. It is too early to tell, but short term, it has definitely at least stopped the AEFW from doing any more damage.
This must be nearly the 6!weeks up from this post .. have you an update on the aefw x just curious?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be nearly the 6!weeks up from this post .. have you an update on the aefw x just curious?
Wow, I cannot believe its been that long! I switched to the maintenance dose as I mentioned last post (2 ml per 25 gallons). And funny that you just asked for an update, because I basted my acros last night for the heck of it (as I had stopped after about a month of treatment do to the fact that I hadn't seen any AEFW). I basted the ones that had been attacked (and survived) pretty heavily and not a single AEFW (or any kind of FW for that matter) popped off. All of the new(er) acros are fully encrusting, have great PE and are growing quicker than they ever have (obviously, there are other contributing factors as well). So my conclusion is that AEFW-X without a doubt stopped (and most likely eradicated) the AEFW infestation that I had in my tank. Being that there is no way to be 100% sure of eradication at this point, I would say that at a minimum, if someone has an AEFW infestation, AEFW-X will without a doubt stop the AEFW from continuing to devour your Acros which will provide time to dip the corals ever couple weeks (the old fashion way) to ensure all is safe. I really cannot give it higher marks. Even if the AEFW does come back eventually, it has done far more than any other in-tank treatment I have ever used.

I also pulled some pictures I took when I first had the outbreak, one is a close up of a frag I clipped that shows the bite marks and AEFW eggs. The other is a picture of the last HALF of the colony that I had to cut from the rocks and toss. I wish I had taken other pictures to document, but when I first started dealing with it, it was a couple weeks before I discovered AEFW-X existed, so I had no clue that I would be one of the first in the US to get my hands on it (which I assume since I had to get it shipped from Canada).

AEFW.jpeg
AEFW2.jpeg

Colinpologordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for about a week and a half. I can tell you that when I put it in the first time, I saw all the AEFW detach and float around. They recommend that you continue use for 4-6 weeks to ensure that all AEFW and eggs are killed. It is far too early to tell, but I have not lost any more corals since I began using. Further, the number of AEFW that comes off when I baste has significantly reduced to very few. It is too early to tell, but short term, it has definitely at least stopped the AEFW from doing any more damage.
Wow, I cannot believe its been that long! I switched to the maintenance dose as I mentioned last post (2 ml per 25 gallons). And funny that you just asked for an update, because I basted my acros last night for the heck of it (as I had stopped after about a month of treatment do to the fact that I hadn't seen any AEFW). I basted the ones that had been attacked (and survived) pretty heavily and not a single AEFW (or any kind of FW for that matter) popped off. All of the new(er) acros are fully encrusting, have great PE and are growing quicker than they ever have (obviously, there are other contributing factors as well). So my conclusion is that AEFW-X without a doubt stopped (and most likely eradicated) the AEFW infestation that I had in my tank. Being that there is no way to be 100% sure of eradication at this point, I would say that at a minimum, if someone has an AEFW infestation, AEFW-X will without a doubt stop the AEFW from continuing to devour your Acros which will provide time to dip the corals ever couple weeks (the old fashion way) to ensure all is safe. I really cannot give it higher marks. Even if the AEFW does come back eventually, it has done far more than any other in-tank treatment I have ever used.

I also pulled some pictures I took when I first had the outbreak, one is a close up of a frag I clipped that shows the bite marks and AEFW eggs. The other is a picture of the last HALF of the colony that I had to cut from the rocks and toss. I wish I had taken other pictures to document, but when I first started dealing with it, it was a couple weeks before I discovered AEFW-X existed, so I had no clue that I would be one of the first in the US to get my hands on it (which I assume since I had to get it shipped from Canada).

AEFW.jpeg
AEFW2.jpeg

Colinpologordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great news ... I think I will get some on your review... I have just switched over from a 75g to a 120 .. my old corals are in now and happy however I always have doubt that there are some Aefw in the system.. I think it definitely wouldn’t do any harm just to be sure .. I have said to myself when adding new acros that I will never have a frag plug on again just to be sure ... just dip cut and at base .. that’s the plan anyway
Thanks again

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get my hands on AEFW-X but saltwateraquarium.com is out of stock.

Update: my AEFW are back in my frag system again. Ugh. Nothing like the first time. These pests are very particular about their preferred hosts. Out of 50-60 colonies/frags, they really only attached to 4 or so colonies, deep in the middle of the colony where predators cannot reach.

I thought I had been clear of them since mid August when my dips revealed no worms for three or four weeks. After that, I dipped only when trading/selling and found nothing. I dropped back to the recommended daily KZ FW Stop dose.

Stay vigilant folks.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get my hands on AEFW-X but saltwateraquarium.com is out of stock.

Update: my AEFW are back in my frag system again. Ugh. Nothing like the first time. These pests are very particular about their preferred hosts. Out of 50-60 colonies/frags, they really only attached to 4 or so colonies, deep in the middle of the colony where predators cannot reach.

I thought I had been clear of them since mid August when my dips revealed no worms for three or four weeks. After that, I dipped only when trading/selling and found nothing. I dropped back to the recommended daily KZ FW Stop dose.

Stay vigilant folks.
Here in Canada most stores sell it. Maybe check out BigShowFrags? I think they ship to the USA.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stay vigilant folks.
I actually got a bottle today from https://icp1999.com/product/aefw-x/. I know its out of stock in all the US based stores. I originally got my first bottle from bigshowfrags, but shipping was a little more money since it was from Canada. Because ICP1999 is run by Fauna Marin (as they are trying to dip their hands into the ICP testing market), they sell the AEFW-X directly to US customers as well. It was free shipping and I picked up some ICP tests for the heck of it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got a bottle today from https://icp1999.com/product/aefw-x/. I know its out of stock in all the US based stores. I originally got my first bottle from bigshowfrags, but shipping was a little more money since it was from Canada. Because ICP1999 is run by Fauna Marin (as they are trying to dip their hands into the ICP testing market), they sell the AEFW-X directly to US customers as well. It was free shipping and I picked up some ICP tests for the heck of it.
Thank you. Just ordered up a liter bottle. It is cheaper than the KZ product which is a bonus.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Just ordered up a liter bottle. It is cheaper than the KZ product which is a bonus.
And it works a lot faster for sure! As I have said, I have used both. Let us know how it goes and if your results mirror mine. Hopefully, they will!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a while, so thought I would chime in. Before I could get my hands on AEFW-X, I began a trial of the UWC Purge 2.0. Ran this for 4 weeks, with weekly dips. I can't say it did much. Clearly, my dipping process was knocking back the population each week. Plus, I got pretty aggressive in culling my colonies. I began just clipping and dipping some frags from the colony and bleaching the rest of the skeleton and base. Pretty ruthless. I won't need any more calcium reactor media for a while. :(

I've stopped using purge and am now dosing AEFW-X. I have 3 liters of it and will run the full course.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I thought I would share this article. I previously read it in Coral Magazine to which I subscribe. (And you should too if you are following this thread.)

Many folks dose a little Lanthanum Chloride to manage PO4. Looks like it could serve another function as well. JUST MAKE SURE YOU MAINTAIN HEALTHY LEVELS OF PO4 if you go this route.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a while, so thought I would chime in. Before I could get my hands on AEFW-X, I began a trial of the UWC Purge 2.0. Ran this for 4 weeks, with weekly dips. I can't say it did much. Clearly, my dipping process was knocking back the population each week. Plus, I got pretty aggressive in culling my colonies. I began just clipping and dipping some frags from the colony and bleaching the rest of the skeleton and base. Pretty ruthless. I won't need any more calcium reactor media for a while. :(

I've stopped using purge and am now dosing AEFW-X. I have 3 liters of it and will run the full course.
Funny, I was actually going to ask you for an update! I can't believe you went Purge 2.0 over AEFW-X after my "detailed" chronology of my experience. ;)

Hopefully it does the trick for you! Let us know how it goes....

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I was actually going to ask you for an update! I can't believe you went Purge 2.0 over AEFW-X after my "detailed" chronology of my experience. ;)

Hopefully it does the trick for you! Let us know how it goes....
Haha. Took me a while to get my hands on the stuff. In the mean time, Jeff over at UWC shipped me three bottles for free, so I felt a little obliged. You are welcome to have my two remaining bottles. I hate that you cannot skim for 6 weeks.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Took me a while to get my hands on the stuff. In the mean time, Jeff over at UWC shipped me three bottles for free, so I felt a little obliged. You are welcome to have my two remaining bottles. I hate that you cannot skim for 6 weeks.
Scott, any updates? Interested to hear your take, if any.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, any updates? Interested to hear your take, if any.
Today is my usual "dip day" but won't get it done today.

It is hard to separate out the effects of dipping, aggressive colony disposal, and the in-tank treatments.

Last week I only had about 3 worms fall off in the dip so there is progress being made but it is hard to attribute efficacy with any conviction.

If it were a tank full of Bali slimer, I could afford to be scientific and have a control group that is not dipped. But there is some $ acros in here that I don't want to spare.

I do continue to dose though.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used purge and it was seemingly effective for my AEFW. Are there other advantages to AEFW-X that I should consider using it?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used purge and it was seemingly effective for my AEFW. Are there other advantages to AEFW-X that I should consider using it?
Personally I cannot say. I have been dipping weekly and removing all potentially egg infested skeleton which I KNOW is effective. How much Purge or AEFW-X have helped I cannot measure.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is my usual "dip day" but won't get it done today.

It is hard to separate out the effects of dipping, aggressive colony disposal, and the in-tank treatments.

Last week I only had about 3 worms fall off in the dip so there is progress being made but it is hard to attribute efficacy with any conviction.

If it were a tank full of Bali slimer, I could afford to be scientific and have a control group that is not dipped. But there is some $ acros in here that I don't want to spare.

I do continue to dose though.
I think it’s time to take the training wheels off and just go AEFW-X without any other dips….

That being said, I respect the course you’re taking and would no doubt do the same thing!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s time to take the training wheels off and just go AEFW-X without any other dips….

That being said, I respect the course you’re taking and would no doubt do the same thing!
Lord knows I am sick of dipping. Almost 3 hours a week I never get back.

Back