New Fauna Marine AEFW X

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I but the bullet and yanked the coral off the rock and pretty much chipped it up and dipped it. Sacrificed some and dropped in FW to see what came off. No flatworms at all. I will say though that this KZ FWS is like Acro Crack. Polyp extension is improved 10 fold from this stuff.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if you can run UV periodically? I know it says to turn off UV when dosing, but can you turn it back on after a few hours or will this weaken the effectiveness of the product?
Given that it is a daily treatment, you might be OK with intermittent use. Time your dosing so that it effective for XX number of hours and then fire the UV. It is not advised, but seems harmless enough.

You could hit up Fauna Marin on Facebook and see what they say.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I but the bullet and yanked the coral off the rock and pretty much chipped it up and dipped it. Sacrificed some and dropped in FW to see what came off. No flatworms at all. I will say though that this KZ FWS is like Acro Crack. Polyp extension is improved 10 fold from this stuff.
Are you using KZ or the aefw-x?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Well I guess I was fooled again. They are back (or never really left). :(

My worms are incredibly picky. The frags from the previously infected colonies are again under attack. They are ignoring (best I can tell from dipping) 95% of my acros.

I will do another AEFW-X regimen along with KZ FWS.

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this post, on my second bottle of AEFW-X, and so far I will cautiously report “all clear” of AEFW. Haven’t seen any adults, juvies, or eggs in 3 weeks.

First bottle i followed recommended dosing and used in conjunction with KZ FWS and did not see great results. I contacted fauna Marin and they advised to up the dosage, so I went to about 2.5ml per 10gal and ended up dosing 25ML at night for my tank.

I also decided to follow the instructions to the letter and stopped H202 dosing and KZ FWS while doing the treatment.

the increased dosage and stringent following of the directions seems to have done it!

I have tried other methods without success - KZ FWS, Purge, freshwater basting, etc, this could be the real deal.

will update in another month or two once I’m certain. I Will be resuming dosing KZ FWS once it’s done, mainly because I have it, it’s expensive, and the corals sure do like it.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I was fooled again. They are back (or never really left). :(

My worms are incredibly picky. The frags from the previously infected colonies are again under attack. They are ignoring (best I can tell from dipping) 95% of my acros.

I will do another AEFW-X regimen along with KZ FWS.
Man, they should do a study of the AEFW in your tank. It seems like you have the most resilient species on the planet!

Did you completely stop dosing the AEFW-X or did you switch to the "prevention" dose after the initial 4-6 week treatment? If you stopped completely, I would have recommended against that given your past. I would probably hit it with another 4-6 week cycle, then switch to the "prevention" dose for the near future (or eternity ;) ). From the general comments and feedback in this thread (as well as others), I would say that people are generally seeing very good results - especially when compared with the other available treatments that currently exist - with AEFW-X.

Also, did you give up your lanthanum regimen as well? I have found that dosing lanthanum without a doubt kills almost any species of flat worm in the tank. I am rooting for you considering your tortured history. If you can eradicate, your methods will definitely be a blue print for all!

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Fauna Marine version have the same side affect of increasing growth and thickness as KZ Flatworm Stop?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, they should do a study of the AEFW in your tank. It seems like you have the most resilient species on the planet!

Did you completely stop dosing the AEFW-X or did you switch to the "prevention" dose after the initial 4-6 week treatment? If you stopped completely, I would have recommended against that given your past. I would probably hit it with another 4-6 week cycle, then switch to the "prevention" dose for the near future (or eternity ;) ). From the general comments and feedback in this thread (as well as others), I would say that people are generally seeing very good results - especially when compared with the other available treatments that currently exist - with AEFW-X.

Also, did you give up your lanthanum regimen as well? I have found that dosing lanthanum without a doubt kills almost any species of flat worm in the tank. I am rooting for you considering your tortured history. If you can eradicate, your methods will definitely be a blue print for all!
I did keep a maintenance dose going until I ran out -- maybe a couple weeks later. They were out of stock and I just left it. Of course they are out of stock on the liter bottles, so will need 4 of the 500ml.

I have done 3-4 LC doses over the last 3-4 months when my PO4 creeps past .15. Sitting at .07 now so have to wait a bit.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a few people over on the UK forums, this stuff will not rid an aquarium of AEFW on its own! This is pretty crap given that it claims to rid the aquarium of these pests within 6 weeks on the bottle! Apparently, a few coral farms in the UK have been using it and it does do something but exterminating them once for all is not it!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a few people over on the UK forums, this stuff will not rid an aquarium of AEFW on its own! This is pretty crap given that it claims to rid the aquarium of these pests within 6 weeks on the bottle! Apparently, a few coral farms in the UK have been using it and it does do something but exterminating them once for all is not it!
Hopefully it does something because I am getting tired of doing everything else. Predators, LCl, Purge 2.0, KZ FW Stop, daily basting, weekly dipping in KCl. And the kitchen sink.

All this just to control AEFW in a frag tank no less. This is round 2 for me. Had about 5 months of R&R before it became obvious they were back.

I guess my advice is do ALL of it and then keep going for 3-4 months or more.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my first dose of AEFW-X today and never seen any flatworms detach and float around or anything like that! According to the UK guys AEFW-X is just a coral conditioning agent like Flatworm stop and wont actually kill anything. I hope this isn't the case tbh!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my first dose of AEFW-X today and never seen any flatworms detach and float around or anything like that! According to the UK guys AEFW-X is just a coral conditioning agent like Flatworm stop and wont actually kill anything. I hope this isn't the case tbh!
It does have the same wormwood smell that the KZ product has.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have the same wormwood smell that the KZ product has.
I read on old forum posts that the babies can burrow into the coral's skeleton and remain in there for up to a year which makes them resistant to dipping and almost anything we can throw at them.

So I think patience is the key with these pests, You have to keep running the treatment for 6 months or more for it to be effective.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on old forum posts that the babies can burrow into the coral's skeleton and remain in there for up to a year which makes them resistant to dipping and almost anything we can throw at them.

So I think patience is the key with these pests, You have to keep running the treatment for 6 months or more for it to be effective.
I have very serious doubts about that. The gestation period on the eggs is days, not even weeks. I've never read about any kind of cyst stage. If you have a link to that though I'd be happy to read it.

All that said, they (my worms at least) are very resilient and lay lots of eggs. Frequently. This is my second battle with them. I thought the first battle was over around November. I could no longer find eggs are worms coming off in the dip well into January. But obviously some (or even just one) slipped by. By March/April the population was nearly rebuilt.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news indeed. Shaping up like there are now possibly 3 different ways to manage/kill these things.

AEFW-X
Lanthanum Chloride
KZ Flatworm Stop plus the kitchen-sink-predator approach
No mention of purge v2?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mention of purge v2?
Candidly, in my experience, NONE of them eradicate. Purge included.Maybe, just maybe, some help but I cannot confirm that despite my attempts. Keep reading the thread. My optimism comes apart a couple months later. I would love to say otherwise.

I will counter myself by saying that some report "success" with some of these. Just not me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a fragment of a flat worm grow into a new worm? I managed to blast a couple off my big nana colony and the fish went for them but they broke up into bits and floated away.
Hard to say for sure but basting and training the fish to feast on them is a great protocol to manage their population.

I had pair of viscous domino damsels that got similar training. Whenever I would slow the pumps they knew the baster was coming. They would hammer the worms; it was very satisfying. Man, were those some mean fish though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back