New filter socks and skimmer pump help.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just installed a new sedra 3500 on my skimmer and now it won't skim. I'm assuming it probably needs to break in. The problem is i just put a brand new filter sock in and now the skimmer is going crazy with bubbles but not creating any skim. I don't really have a question but i need some suggestion on what to do here cause the tank is full of micro bubbles. I didn't clean or rinse the filter sock at all.

Part 2: What do you do to prep new filter socks?
Sent from somewhere using something.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did shoot a little vinegar into the skimmer pump and rinsed the sock with vinegar, but the damage is already done. I can see a film on the water surface in my sump, I'm guessing manufacturing oils.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it. You might try lightly skimming the surface of the water with a paper towel to pull some of the oil out. Not sure if it will help or not, just a thought.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the new filter sock...I once used one from BRS without washing it and it did the same thing...pull the sock out and rinse it out real good with some fresh RO water, then turn off your ATO and let the skimmer do it's thing...the reason for turning off the ATO is your skimmer is going to wig (shooting bubbles everywhere) out for a while and skim supper wet until it pulls out what ever is in there...I let it drain until the water line is low enough so the skimmer wont pull out water but is still wigging out...if you dont turn off your ATO it will just keep dumping fresh water in your tank..and you dont want that....now your skimmer should do this for about 45 min then it usually returns to normal...I then do a water change and fill the tank up to the normal water line.... turn the ATO back on, and you should be fine...my skimmer also does this when I use water weld in the tank...It suck's and is supper irritating, but at least I know my skimmer is working....good luck!

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be skimming properly again. So how do you guys treat brand new filter socks before use?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it's back to normal. I take mine outside and rinse w/the water hose and let them air dry. And because I am paranoid, I rinse them again with ro water.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the new filter sock. When I bought 6 new filter socks a while back. On the third one I changed my bubbleking went crazy. Sent micro bubbles everywhere through my tank. Thought my skimmer was busted. I tore the whole skimmer apart and could not figure it out. Then after a little searching around and realizing it happened the exact time I put the new sock on I figured it out. So from then on I have rinsed my socks. Everything will be back to normal soon.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's back to not skimming again. The surface oils are gone and the skimmer is producing a lot of bubbles. They just aren't forming a head at all.

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer can sometimes take a couple weeks to break in. Just give it time. And when it does start working, when you go to clean it, give it a vinegar or acid bath and it will shave a lot of time off.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is like 4 years old, it's just a new pump. And literally right after i posted this, i looked over and it was working. Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back