• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brandon0723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an almost totally dead reef tank the current filtration is a really bad HOB filter that came with the tank. HOB is the only option and I would like to know if these peices of equipment would work.

Reef Octopus Classic 1000 HOB Protein Skimmer

2 ViaAqua Poly-Reactor (Multi-Media Reactor)
One with
Seachem Laboratories Denitrate and the other with Seachem Laboratories Phosguard

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB equipment gets a bad rep but can be totally efficient if used right. The skimmer will be an excellent addition, if you like phosguard that would be fine for one of the reactors. I would forego the denitrate, unless you've done a massive amount of research and find that it;s something you'd want to use. Using a media more geared toward breaking down organics would be a better choice for the 2nd reactor; like purigen, carbon, chemipure, etc. The most important part of your system would be live rock and proper flow in your display.

The only problem I have is with mechanical filtration, I like running some sort of filter pad to polish the water and clear the debris. You reactors will become clogged rather quickly. I would get a properly sized hob filter like the one from seachem, run a filter pad and media of your choice. Maintenance would be easier, that in conjunction with the skimmer, and at least 50-60 lbs of rock in the display

OP
OP
B

brandon0723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have 58 pounds of live rock and 2 power heads both rated for a 55 gallon tank. For the HOB filter would the one that came with the tank be good enough for the mechanical filtration?

HOB equipment gets a bad rep but can be totally efficient if used right. The skimmer will be an excellent addition, if you like phosguard that would be fine for one of the reactors. I would forego the denitrate, unless you've done a massive amount of research and find that it;s something you'd want to use. Using a media more geared toward breaking down organics would be a better choice for the 2nd reactor; like purigen, carbon, chemipure, etc. The most important part of your system would be live rock and proper flow in your display.

The only problem I have is with mechanical filtration, I like running some sort of filter pad to polish the water and clear the debris. You reactors will become clogged rather quickly. I would get a properly sized hob filter like the one from seachem, run a filter pad and media of your choice. Maintenance would be easier, that in conjunction with the skimmer, and at least 50-60 lbs of rock in the display

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have 58 pounds of live rock and 2 power heads both rated for a 55 gallon tank. For the HOB filter would the one that came with the tank be good enough for the mechanical filtration?

I would probably say likely, the problem with most HOB filters is the flow. The filter is usually just a box where you put everything and the water doesn't effectively flow through your choices of media. I built my own media basket, but here is one for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2BVYY...t=&hvlocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-316279226155
I would turn at least one or both of the reactors into algae reactors, if you already have the reactors and pumps; all you need are the led strips like these cheap ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132NME6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Read threads here about how many of us use and like algae reactors and to get more specific ideas.

So to recap: 58lbs of live rock and good flow, HOB skimmer, HOB filter with filter pad(kept clean) and choice of media(I've found chemipure elite to be an excellent choice) and customized for effective flow, algae reactor(s) running on opposite light cycle. If you do this the system will be top notch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back