New firmware update now available: Preparations for ION Director, increased dosing pump support and more!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we need to update only the Dosers (Maxi and 2.1) or everything on the PAB list (Vortech, Touch, Powerbars, KH Director, which are the ones I have).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done that - just to be safe. If you have probes in expansions boxes or plug in cards - please control the probes. My index change in three exp cards in my expansion box 2 after the update of that.and I have to both check my 1-10 V channels and switches in order to have the right function on them.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI

The upgrade of the P4 will take away the virtual probes (if you have any) - you have to assign them again

I also have an expansion box 2 with one Humidity/room temperature and two redox plug in card. I did an upgrade to latest firmware. What´s happens was that the Humidity/room temperature card get the index from each of the two redox cards and the opposite. This means that I lost the calibrations of the redox cards and that several functions start to react on wrong probes.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes.....virtual probes disappeared. I wonder what else we will find?
But I'm happy to say that I finally finished the process! Started at 10am.....it is now almost 6pm! ….I get the prize for being the slowest!

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to go ahead and get the update done but after reading all this, I am not looking forward to it at all. This will be the first time I have needed to update anything and im trying to wrap my head around unplugging each piece even though everything talks through PAB.

Maybe one day they will incorporate an update software button that takes care of everything. Then they wouldnt have to create a thread here and make a video to just update firmware.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep one thing in mind - every feature that is put in the system requires space and processing power.

While I agree that you need to pay attention, understand the process and go through the firmware update in specific order while backing up, updating, unplugging, updating etc etc - in order for GHL to make that more seamless - they have to give up something else in the overall system.

Personally I would rather see the space and processing required go towards a feature I use every day or every month rather than something I only do once in a great while.

Unless we all want to purchase new hardware with additional capabilities in order to achieve some of the things we dis-like. But then - everyone will be annoyed that you have to buy new hardware to use the new features.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope that it not will come automatic updates. This is managing systems for living things - at least I want to have full control over this. How difficult your update is depends of the size of your system and which things you use. I report the difficulties I run into because I want too inform GHL of problems in systems that are rather large - how many of GHL user even know what a virtual probe is - as one example. And how many use them?

Sincerely Lasse

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For V1.1.3.1 GHL lists the following:

PC software (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10), suitable for these devices:

• Mitras LX6 up to firmware 1.21
  • Mitras LX7 up to firmware 1.11
  • GHL Doser 2 SA & Maxi up to firmware 1.35
  • ProfiLux 3 & 3.1 with firmware 6.00 to 6.43
  • ProfiLux 4 with firmware 7.00 to 7.23
  • ProfiLux Light/Mini (WiFi) up to firmware 1.11
  • Dohse Ocean Lux LED Controller up to firmware 1.06
  • Dennerle Trocal LED Control up to firmware 1.04
Nowhere do I see anything for the Expansion Box2 listed? So is there new firmware for the EB2?

In addition, I'm already at 7.23 on my P4.

I do agree, I don't like the process for upgrading. Having to disconnect all devices in a royal pain when it comes to updating firmware. The process should list each product with the current level and indicate if it needs updating. Then you would select each device and update it. The System view already gives you that and shows you the current firmware level of each device. Having to disconnect and reconnect can lead to issues with the various expansion cards.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I updated one of my P4 systems to the beta release V1132. I thought I would document my experience.

First let me explain that I have a fish room and all my GHL equipment is up on shelves. High enough that I need to use a ladder to reach them.

I did the backup as recommended and followed Ditto's procedure listed on page 1 of this thread. I did the 7.24 update of the P4 and that seemed to work. There was a data error that popped up on the P4 display but it disappeared quickly but I think it was related to my system configuration, because the next statement said something about factory defaults or something to that affect. The system seemed to be working and I was able to reassign the PAB devices and then load my saved data.

As I indicated earlier that my GHL equipment is located up on shelves, I keep a long USB (20') and a long cat 5e cable (10') just for doing updates.

Expansion Box2: I disconnected everything except my EB2 and it was at version 2.03 and I saw that the latest was version 2.07. I didn't have any issue updating the EB2. I thought this is great. Now I needed to update my Doser 2.1 and Maxi Doser.

Doser 2.1 and Maxi Doser: Both pump units were at version 1.34. The latest in the firmware list was 1.36. So again, I disconnected everything except the Doser 2.1. I ran the firmware update process and during the erasing flash message I got an error message that it failed. I restarted the GCC software and rebooted the Doser 2.1 and the same error. This time I restarted the GCC software and rebooted the P4 and the Doser 2.1 same error. So I tried the Maxi Doser, same error. I tried rebooting the GCC software and rebooting both the P4 and Maxi, same error.

So I sent a message to Ditto. While I was waiting to hear back from him I went through this thread again. I saw Lasse had an issue updating his EB2 and he fixed it by updating to an earlier version of the firmware and then was able to update to the latest version. So I thought why not give that a try. I had noticed that there was a version 1.35 in the firmware list for the pumps. I tried that on the Doser 2.1 success. So then I tried installing 1.36 success. I did the same for the Maxi and it worked also.

Feedback for GHL. In a lab where it is easy to disconnect cables, then connect one device to the P4 and updating that one device is most likely easy. I have to climb up and down a ladder to disconnect cables, reconnect cables, power devices on and off, etc. In moving the KHD and Doser 2.1 pump to get to the PAB connections, the reagent bottle almost fell on the floor. Moving equipment around to get to the cables is not an easy task. So in the lab where it may take 5-10 minutes to do an update in the real world I spent 2-3 hours doing this update. I have another P4 setup I need to update. I had enough for one day updating one system. It shouldn't be this difficult. The other P4 system will wait for another day.

A question I have is that if I power off a device, does the PAB connections on that device act as a pass through? Now that would make this update process easier, I wouldn't need to disconnect just power off devices.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I updated one of my P4 systems to the beta release V1132. I thought I would document my experience.

First let me explain that I have a fish room and all my GHL equipment is up on shelves. High enough that I need to use a ladder to reach them.

I did the backup as recommended and followed Ditto's procedure listed on page 1 of this thread. I did the 7.24 update of the P4 and that seemed to work. There was a data error that popped up on the P4 display but it disappeared quickly but I think it was related to my system configuration, because the next statement said something about factory defaults or something to that affect. The system seemed to be working and I was able to reassign the PAB devices and then load my saved data.

As I indicated earlier that my GHL equipment is located up on shelves, I keep a long USB (20') and a long cat 5e cable (10') just for doing updates.

Expansion Box2: I disconnected everything except my EB2 and it was at version 2.03 and I saw that the latest was version 2.07. I didn't have any issue updating the EB2. I thought this is great. Now I needed to update my Doser 2.1 and Maxi Doser.

Doser 2.1 and Maxi Doser: Both pump units were at version 1.34. The latest in the firmware list was 1.36. So again, I disconnected everything except the Doser 2.1. I ran the firmware update process and during the erasing flash message I got an error message that it failed. I restarted the GCC software and rebooted the Doser 2.1 and the same error. This time I restarted the GCC software and rebooted the P4 and the Doser 2.1 same error. So I tried the Maxi Doser, same error. I tried rebooting the GCC software and rebooting both the P4 and Maxi, same error.

So I sent a message to Ditto. While I was waiting to hear back from him I went through this thread again. I saw Lasse had an issue updating his EB2 and he fixed it by updating to an earlier version of the firmware and then was able to update to the latest version. So I thought why not give that a try. I had noticed that there was a version 1.35 in the firmware list for the pumps. I tried that on the Doser 2.1 success. So then I tried installing 1.36 success. I did the same for the Maxi and it worked also.

Feedback for GHL. In a lab where it is easy to disconnect cables, then connect one device to the P4 and updating that one device is most likely easy. I have to climb up and down a ladder to disconnect cables, reconnect cables, power devices on and off, etc. In moving the KHD and Doser 2.1 pump to get to the PAB connections, the reagent bottle almost fell on the floor. Moving equipment around to get to the cables is not an easy task. So in the lab where it may take 5-10 minutes to do an update in the real world I spent 2-3 hours doing this update. I have another P4 setup I need to update. I had enough for one day updating one system. It shouldn't be this difficult. The other P4 system will wait for another day.

A question I have is that if I power off a device, does the PAB connections on that device act as a pass through? Now that would make this update process easier, I wouldn't need to disconnect just power off devices.
Nope If you power off - the PAB does not work any longer.

Sincerely Lasse

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone, I just went through this thread and am really afraid to even start this process. I am in the GHL ecosystem since I pre ordered the P4 when it first came out and currently have the following system:

- P4 connected to 2 Power Bars via PAB cable (daisy chained)
- One KH Director and one Slave Doser 2.1 connected to a SA Doser 2.1

So my questions are:

- Do I need to disconnect the Power Bars from the P4 before starting its firmware upgrade?
- Doser 2.1 SA - Doser 2.1 Slave - KHD: do I need to unplug the PAB cables and update the SA first, than connect the Slave doser to the SA un update the Slave firmware, unplug the Doser Slave, plug the KHD and update the KHD, than finally re connect the PAB cables?

Many thanks and kind regards

Vasco

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone, I just went through this thread and am really afraid to even start this process. I am in the GHL ecosystem since I pre ordered the P4 when it first came out and currently have the following system:

- P4 connected to 2 Power Bars via PAB cable (daisy chained)
- One KH Director and one Slave Doser 2.1 connected to a SA Doser 2.1

So my questions are:

- Do I need to disconnect the Power Bars from the P4 before starting its firmware upgrade?
- Doser 2.1 SA - Doser 2.1 Slave - KHD: do I need to unplug the PAB cables and update the SA first, than connect the Slave doser to the SA un update the Slave firmware, unplug the Doser Slave, plug the KHD and update the KHD, than finally re connect the PAB cables?

Many thanks and kind regards

Vasco
Unplug every PAB. Do each item seperate. P4 first. Then using the P4 as your interface each slave item. plugging in one at a time and unplugging when finished with each item.
I would do the SA Doser independent of everything.
Once done reconnect and pray.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV
There is nothing to be afraid about.
Just follow the same steps as you would for any regular P4 update. As always, backup your settings before getting started.

If you are going to update the firmware on slave Doser units, follow the video. All the steps are explained there.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread. For what it is worth when I updated the P4 I didn’t disconnect anything from it. Once the update was done, I did the reassigning of the PAB devices and then I restored from my backup. Then I disconnected everything except the device I wanted to update. Also make sure your devices on the power bars are set correctly to either stay on or off when you disconnect them from the P4.

I don’t have any stand-alone devices. I know there is a video from GHL on how to update them.

As stated earlier make sure you do a backup before you start. You will need it to reload after you reassign your devices. If an update doesn’t work, look for earlier firmware files and upload them first. As I stated in my post I couldn’t go from 1.34 on the dosing pumps straight to 1.36. I had to load 1.35 first then I was able to go to 1.36.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general note, I don’t think we need to make people afraid to do the update. The more people that do it the more data points we can collect.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general note, I don’t think we need to make people afraid to do the update. The more people that do it the more data points we can collect.
I agree.

I'm not sure where the notion that firmware updates are hard or scary came from. There are videos out there which show exactly what to do, where to find the new FW and how to do it.

If one does not follow the video or the instructions provided, we'll then that's another thing, but the details are there. It's a matter of closely following them. :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do like this.

Back up everything - setting and sensors

Do the firmware upgrade of the P4 computer with everything connected. If any of the PAB devices must be upgraded disconnect every of them and only connect the PAB in question.

In your case - you do not need to upgrade the powerbars - so it will be enough just to upgrade the P4 with them connected.

I have not updated a Doser 2.1 SA with attached KHD and slave pump but I supose that you do the same way - but check if you need to update first

- If you need or not - check this list - it is valid for latest GCC 1.1.3.2

GHL doser stand alone 1.36
GHL doser slave 1.36
Powerbar 5.1 1.01
Powerbar 6D 1.08 (the old 6 sockets power bar
Powerbar 6E 1.00 (the new)
P4 7.24

When you have installed your new CCG - you can always check which FW you need to upgrade

Go to your C directory like this

screenshot 019.PNG

Further

screenshot 020.PNG

Further to GHL doser standalone

screenshot 021.PNG

Or

screenshot 022.PNG

Or

screenshot 023.PNG

Hope this help

Sincerely Lasse

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back