New First Ever Tank Version 2 of Aquascape. Need thoughts.

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey it's me again,

After posting my last aquascape here for my first tank attempt and taking in all of your wonderful advice and my own thoughts, I decided I really hated the rocks I had in my tank, so I switched them out and made this. Any opinions and advice appreciated, just some forewords:

• There is going to be a sand bed
  • I know it might be a biiiiiiit high but i'm not sure, the rocks I got in the box were a lot bigger than expected so I hope its not hopelessly high.
  • I am going to glue all the weak structural points
  • I hope it's not too much rock, as my justification is its a 40 gallon breeder, the box was 45 pounds of rock and the advice I got is 1 to 1.5 pounds per-gallon so as far as i'm aware i'm in the sweet spot.
  • I did check to make sure that any form of algae scrubber/flipper can fit everywhere it needs to on all sides.
  • If you recognize any of the equipment i'm using and have thoughts on those, those are appreciated too.
  • For some I realize it might look very anti-"rule of thirds", but I really do like this formation I have going here, I just hope its not too cluttered looking to experienced folk.
  • As for livestock it is going to be a full reef tank, so corals and fish, I don't intend on going crazy with the SPS, if anything just some form of Montipora after the tank fleshes out a bit, other than that, leathers, zoas, all your normal and beginner friendly corals and fish.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to give my thoughts on how it looked but I decided not to. The reason for this is I'm a huge perfectionist (my gf would call it being a virgo) and I am almost never happy with how my tanks look, I even have a planted 10 gallon I have redone 5 times in the past 2 years. If you are satisfied with it then stick with it and don't let anyone else say it looks bad or whatever. Because if someone says something like "I would've used different rocks to make a more natural looking arch" you are going to be thinking about that whenever you look at your fish swimming through the arches even if no one else can see what you think is wrong with it. Who cares about the rule of thirds if it still looks nice. sorry about that mini rant but rescaping over and over is something I struggle with a lot lol.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey it's me again,

After posting my last aquascape here for my first tank attempt and taking in all of your wonderful advice and my own thoughts, I decided I really hated the rocks I had in my tank, so I switched them out and made this. Any opinions and advice appreciated, just some forewords:

• There is going to be a sand bed
  • I know it might be a biiiiiiit high but i'm not sure, the rocks I got in the box were a lot bigger than expected so I hope its not hopelessly high.
  • I am going to glue all the weak structural points
  • I hope it's not too much rock, as my justification is its a 40 gallon breeder, the box was 45 pounds of rock and the advice I got is 1 to 1.5 pounds per-gallon so as far as i'm aware i'm in the sweet spot.
  • I did check to make sure that any form of algae scrubber/flipper can fit everywhere it needs to on all sides.
  • If you recognize any of the equipment i'm using and have thoughts on those, those are appreciated too.
  • For some I realize it might look very anti-"rule of thirds", but I really do like this formation I have going here, I just hope its not too cluttered looking to experienced folk.
  • As for livestock it is going to be a full reef tank, so corals and fish, I don't intend on going crazy with the SPS, if anything just some form of Montipora after the tank fleshes out a bit, other than that, leathers, zoas, all your normal and beginner friendly corals and fish.

Looks good. Dont overthink it, like the person above me said it rescaping over and over is a problem. If you like it then thats all you need. You got plenty of places for coral and fish to swim in between structures and hide. I must of redone mine at least 15 times to the point my back was sore from bending over the tank. Finally said enough is enough and put water in it. Slowly starting to not nit pick it anymore cause I did for a couple days after water was in there thinking I should of done this or that. But all in all it looks pretty good

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also saltwater next to electronics is a very bold move lol, I recommend moving your router.

Oh that old thing, its at least 5 years old so hey if it dies that's more excuse to get a better one lol in all seriousness I see your point, once I get water in it if I see that splashing on it is going to be an issue, I can move it to underneath the table.

Also your longer comment I really appreciate what you said, I really do need to embrace more not caring about others negative opinions but i'm too picky and analytical to not want a few opinions, good or bad ;Woot This probably isn't going to change much beyond this point, just need to be sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Dont overthink it, like the person above me said it rescaping over and over is a problem. If you like it then thats all you need. You got plenty of places for coral and fish to swim in between structures and hide. I must of redone mine at least 15 times to the point my back was sore from bending over the tank. Finally said enough is enough and put water in it. Slowly starting to not nit pick it anymore cause I did for a couple days after water was in there thinking I should of done this or that. But all in all it looks pretty good

Yeah ripping out all the original rocks and replacing them completely is enough for me, this formation isn't going to change much from this, I really do like it, and I really appreciate your statement "You got plenty of places for coral and fish to swim in between structures and hide" that's precisely what i'm looking for. Thanks!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back