New fish and quarantining is almost ruining the hobby for me

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question I've wondered about.
The general consensus is never bring salinity up too fast. This breaks that rule big time.
Going from 0 to 100 in one second. That's gotta hurt.
My question is is there any materials on this subject that we know, that tells us bringing up salinity fast is harmful to fish? Also it seems the general consensus is taking the salinity down fast isn't as harmful? I'm guessing it has something to do with the swim bladder? Anyone know where I can read about this?

It does hurt. I questioned that because there just is a lot of conflicting information out there. If you have a fish that is in a state of barely hanging on, a freshwater dip and then backup to normal salinity is more than not a death sentence.

Treating for flukes with a freshwater dip works, but hopefully the fish doesn't have a combination of ailments cause seems a freshwater dip can exacerbate the situation.

All of this seems really hit or miss and a lot of luck.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question I've wondered about.
The general consensus is never bring salinity up too fast. This breaks that rule big time.
Going from 0 to 100 in one second. That's gotta hurt.
My question is is there any materials on this subject that we know, that tells us bringing up salinity fast is harmful to fish? Also it seems the general consensus is taking the salinity down fast isn't as harmful? I'm guessing it has something to do with the swim bladder? Anyone know where I can read about this?

Guess the amount of time suggested for FW dips (a few minutes and observe for stress) may be fine, but heck on some fish by the time you see stress it could have already done the necessary damage to push the fish over the edge.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I was like "whooaa hey what are you doing?!" now mind you this LFS that has an epic reef tank display also uses "TAP WATER" and has no idea what their Alk level is I was like "um ok".

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back