New fish die within hours

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard anything asked of the salt you are using. What brand and line it type? Also with all your water changes and nothing has changed try using a different salt brand. I had read on a forum or review a few weeks back where someone had bought salt online but can’t say for certain what brand so I won’t guess. Anyway. When they went to do a water change their fish acted exactly like you are describing and their corals went nuts.cant remember if they had any deaths for sure. But when they changed to a different salt and did another water change everything was just fine. Turns out the salt was either contaminated or mixed wrong at the factory. Just a possibility and a cheap experiment.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just telling it how it is

Baloney. If someone does basic research a 10+ gallon nano fowlr tank is a million times easier than a starting with a 50 gallon plus. It would just cost him an extra 100 dollars to drain the tank and start over.

Bigger tanks only really make SPS easier that are sensitive to small swings in PH, Ca, temp etc

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baloney. If someone does basic research a 10+ gallon nano fowlr tank is a million times easier than a starting with a 50 gallon plus. It would just cost him an extra 100 dollars to drain the tank and start over.

Bigger tanks only really make SPS easier that are sensitive to small swings in PH, Ca, temp etc
I think the my bigger tank is more stable doesn't make any sense to me, just something a narcissistic like to say. I like small systems, easier to maintain, everyone starts out strong and then slowly fades away on the maintenance. I've had 100s of different systems, even used a hot tub as a sump. AIO are the easy, simples tanks. I am even trying to go all AIO, I love the design wish I never when with a sump. Thing is just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work for another. Leaking bulk heads, miles of pipe, drips all around, huge water flows with noise issues, huge massive water changes, deep tanks that take hours to work in, 100s of gallons in just top off and saltwater mix, water on the floor just to clean a pump.

Anyways I hope you figure it out. What ammonia are you dosing? Sounds to me like something toxic in tank or stray current in tank. Never seen a disease wipe something out that fast. It happens that fast but that after weeks or months of the fish being in the system before the quick death comes.
Good old is that the cause or is that the effect.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also remove the carbon and GFO. I used the carbon that came with my AIO, my clown acted strange the whole time. Day I took it out, fish was looking better. Carbon to me is just a day or two. I never use it full time.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(sorry for the long post)

Hello guys,
I have a Coralife BioCube 32 gallon tank. I completed the cycle about a week ago (took me 4 weeks and a half). Dosed 2ppm ammonia and all levels go to zero in less than 24 hours (except nitrates). I have a RO/DI system which I used to do a few water changes to drop nitrate levels before adding fish. Last week I added one clownfish first (acclimated the fish). It started gasping for air and then stayed at the bottom until it died (died within hours). Checked parameters and everything zero. Thought maybe fish was sick. Next day went to another lfs and they advised me to get 2 clownfish claiming that they don't like being alone. Got home acclimated for about 2 hours, added fish and both died again. One looked OK for about 3 hours swimming normally but then started to swim on the sand like scratching himself and got lethargic and stayed on the sand until it died. The other one died first. That one was gasping for air at the top and started losing strength until it died. Tested parameters and everything zero (alkalinity 1.022). I waited one week, adding 2 ppm ammonia every 2 days to make sure that the bacteria had something to eat. Again, all parameters down to zero in less than 24 hours. I bought a chlorine test which arrived this week. Tested the water had zero chlorine, tested tds from rodi system and was zero, did a 50% water change one day and 25% next day to lower nitrates to about 5ppm. I decided to buy 2 more clownfish and both died within hours. The exhibit similar patterns before dying. At this point I don't know what to do. I was so excited but I'm losing hope. I don't like seeing these fish dying. It's way too sad. Every and any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

PH 8.0
Temp 79-80 degree
Alkalinity 1.022
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Chlorine 0
TDS 0
Protein skimmer
2 sponges for filtration
1 media bag
1 seachem purigen
About 20 pounds of rock and 2 inches of sand
I have introduced 2 X clown fish numerous others without a problem thus far. I think despite your best efforts, something wrong in your aquarium.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the my bigger tank is more stable doesn't make any sense to me, just something a narcissistic like to say. I like small systems, easier to maintain, everyone starts out strong and then slowly fades away on the maintenance. I've had 100s of different systems, even used a hot tub as a sump. AIO are the easy, simples tanks. I am even trying to go all AIO, I love the design wish I never when with a sump. Thing is just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work for another. Leaking bulk heads, miles of pipe, drips all around, huge water flows with noise issues, huge massive water changes, deep tanks that take hours to work in, 100s of gallons in just top off and saltwater mix, water on the floor just to clean a pump.

Anyways I hope you figure it out. What ammonia are you dosing? Sounds to me like something toxic in tank or stray current in tank. Never seen a disease wipe something out that fast. It happens that fast but that after weeks or months of the fish being in the system before the quick death comes.
Good old is that the cause or is that the effect.
Apparently your advanced in the knowledge of... It seems everything, so why waste everyone's time and post such an item?

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like this thread is getting a little out of hand. I know this is a tough thing, and we all really want what's best for you and to help resolve the problems. If you are running carbon make sure your rinsing off super well first. Like at least 5 minutes under running water to get the dust off.

Some things to be aware of as a new hobbiest that maybe hasn't been mentioned here is that soap is also very toxic to fish, so make sure your not using it on anything you use in the tank. With you also dosing so much ammonia so frequently I wonder what your kH is? Your pH looks good so it may not be low. However, your LFS could have a kH of 9 or 10 and maybe yours is 7 or 6 due the the bacteria using it up. That could be a huge swing for any fish.

Griley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me so when the first fish died I took it back to the store and when I brought another one home I also brought a jar of water from their tank so after I put the new one in he started to act like he was going to die too. I put him into the jar or their tank water and he survived. I took him back to the FS and today I’m going to try a poly pac and sodium bicarbonate for three days. If it works I will let you know. If you figure out what to do let me know. I have no idea what I’m doing yet but hopefully I can figure it out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back