New Fish Died

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found my two newest fish dead. A Fox Face and Yellow Faced Goby. I added them to the tank on Thursday afternoon after being in quarentine for a week. They both started eating and were really doing well. Last night they were swimming around and eating. This morning they were both dead.

I have a 55g with 20g sump and 30g refugium with Cheato, Mag 5 return, Seio 2600 powerhead, Reef Devil Skimmer and about 50 lbs. of live rock, 4 X54 w T5- 2 10,000k and 2 Actinic's and a 4 inch sand bed that has been going for about 10 months.

I have a Clown that has been in the tank for about 7 months and he is still doing great. All the coral is doing great. I have had a couple of Clowns jumped out of the tank in the past but these are the first new fish I have introduced in about 3 months.

Here are my perameters from test this morning.
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
Nitrite 0
Calcium 320
PH 7.8
SG 1.025
Temp 77*

I am fighting an Algea problem, that is why I got the Fox Face. I have pictures of my tank in the Central Alabama Club Forum. Is there anything else that I should be testing for?

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, he pretty much didn't pay them any attention when I put them in the tank.

The Goby set up on the opposite end of the tank and the Fox Face styed behind the rock mostly.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated the bags for approximately 3 hours. Each bag had roughly 3 cups of water so after about 30 min. I added 1/3 cup of DT water to each bag and repeated the proccess about every 20 min. After 2 hours, I had added about 2 cups of DT water, I poured about half the water out and kept adding 1/3 cup for the next hour then placed them in the tank.

This is the way I have allways acclimated any livestock.

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation could have been too long, but I have only had to do a super long one with a shrimp, so I can't help you with that from personal experience. I just wanted to be sure you didn't just drop them in. Having them fine for a week then both die on the same day, in a totally new tank, suggested that was a possibility.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those parameters after the fish died? The PH is low but if you acclimated them for that long I wouldn't think that would do it. What are the parameters for the QT tank? Maybe parameters way off between tanks. Did you medicate while in QT?

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the biggest reason I dont like buying fish. There are so many reasons why they didnt make it that has nuttin to do with your tank. It could have been caused by the collector, wholesaler or the store you got them from there is just know way of knowing.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 10% water change and instead of throwing out hte old water, I put it in my QT. The only differance is that I run a small filter with charcoal on the QT. I have had FOWLR tanks for years and never really had this happen and i acclimated the same way for thoes.

The Goby had been in the

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Goby had been in the LFS for about a month before I got him and they had no problems. I have bought a couple of other fish from them and they are all doing great.

They both ate real well while in the QT and for the first day or two after being placed in the DT. The Clownfish that is still in the tank is doing great and all the coral are fine. It just has me stumped as to why both would die at the same time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back