New fish dying but older fish just fine??

OP
OP
1MCp

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question as I think what is in my tank is Marine Velvet. The reason I am leaning towards this is because water parameters are fine, and while corals inverts and clownfish are healthy, any new fish is dying.

The new fish acclimated for an hour drip is super healthy and hungry until bed time and turn up dead without a scar or tissue dmg in the morning. This leads me to believe that is the strain of velvet that gets to the gills.

My theory is due to its thick coating of slime like substance, the clownfish are not affect by velvet. Research tells me the velvet does not lie dormant within a fish, rather they must attach and root in order to feed or they are free floating mode and soaking in light.

I propose that at the moment the one way to kill off what is left floating in my tank for the next 10 days is get a UV filter. UV is able to kill the bacteria in its free floating mode (Dinospore)

What do you guys think.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question as I think what is in my tank is Marine Velvet. The reason I am leaning towards this is because water parameters are fine, and while corals inverts and clownfish are healthy, any new fish is dying.

The new fish acclimated for an hour drip is super healthy and hungry until bed time and turn up dead without a scar or tissue dmg in the morning. This leads me to believe that is the strain of velvet that gets to the gills.

My theory is due to its thick coating of slime like substance, the clownfish are not affect by velvet. Research tells me the velvet does not lie dormant within a fish, rather they must attach and root in order to feed or they are free floating mode and soaking in light.

I propose that at the moment the one way to kill off what is left floating in my tank for the next 10 days is get a UV filter. UV is able to kill the bacteria in its free floating mode (Dinospore)

What do you guys think.
No!
The only way to get rid of velvet is 72 days of fallow the uv won't do it, it makes you feel better but it also kills other things that are beneficial . That said a uv does kill off algae blooms

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got velvet in your display, you've got trouble.

Ideal course of action would be to remove all fish from the display to a clean quarantine tank - a five-minute freshwater dip and some time in a formalin or Acriflavin bath on the way wouldn't hurt - and begin a course of either copper or Chloroquine Phosphate treatment. It's generally recommended to raise copper levels slowly, but velvet won't give you much time - 24-48 hours, anything beyond that is pushing it. Use a copper test kit to confirm you've reached - and are maintaining therapeutic levels. (CP is available only by prescription from a vet in the U.S., so most folks use copper.)

The "fallow" period for velvet is six weeks, during which your display can have no fish at all. If you'd like to make sure there's no ich in there, then go to 76 days.

If a fish has been exposed to ich (and possibly velvet?) but received a sublethal dose of the stuff, they can sometimes develop a temporary immunity that seems to last about six months. This may explain what you're seeing in your tank.

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back