New Fish Dying

RandyRovegno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was recommended that I post this in this forum as I'd previously posted in the general one (apologies if you've seen this before.). Since all my parameters are good, they say it could be a disease issue with new fish being exposed and my existing ones are immune? Can you please read my situation and if you know how to rectify the problem so I can add new fish without them dying in a week, I'd love your input.

I need help. I have had my 55 set up for over a year and every time I get new fish (and I mean at least 30) they die within a week. I've worked with several LFS and they are dumbfounded. We've tested EVERYTHING (PH, Phos, Amonia, and all the basics plus copper, etc) and while once in a while it may have a higher Nitrate or the salinity is off, we rectify those and all of the numbers are good (I've had experts test everything and while I don't have the numbers with me, trust me when I say it looks good on paper). I have a sump, protein skimmer, etc. and a temp around 78. I set up a RODI and now make my own water (red sea salt) but I'd been using water purchased from the store so neither made a difference.

I currently have a Foxface, 3 chromis, 2 Scooters, and 2 anemones and even a few frags that have lived through everything. It's not an aggressive tank and I acclimate by floating, drip, then a "holding" cage so acclimation isn't the issue. I've tried countless clowns, tangs, angels, small toby puffers, etc. from different LFS and some will look great, swim, eat, etc. and then they just die in 5 days. I have done significant water changes in the past and I dose to keep nitrates down, etc. I need to do something different.

I don't know what to do and it pains me to kill fish (and not to mention $) Should I drain it and start over? 50% change? Please help.

Please help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish generally are resistant but Not immune to disease- bad advice
How were the new ones acclimated/ introduced and how and for how long?
What test kits are you using?
What is your ammonia-ph- salinity- temperature

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know exact parameters and how they are over time (are they stable). Saying that they’re ‘good’ doesn’t tell us anything, water quality can’t be ruled out without these numbers. Same with the acclimation, need more specific info on your procedure as well as the PH and salinity of the water in the bag as well as your tank, dismissing the acclimation without knowing these specific numbers.

OP
OP
R

RandyRovegno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish generally are resistant but Not immune to disease- bad advice
How were the new ones acclimated/ introduced and how and for how long?
What test kits are you using?
What is your ammonia-ph- salinity- temperature
I soak, then drip for 45 mins and then in-tank holding for hours or as long as a day or so. My current fish are not very aggressive so they don't pick on new fish much, Testing has been done at my LFS and we did diagnostics on everything. I do my own salt testing and make my RO/DI salt water (but when I was buying water it was the same issue) Salinity is 1.025, temp is 78-79 and very minimal ammonia. Everything else is good.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I soak, then drip for 45 mins and then in-tank holding for hours or as long as a day or so. My current fish are not very aggressive so they don't pick on new fish much, Testing has been done at my LFS and we did diagnostics on everything. I do my own salt testing and make my RO/DI salt water (but when I was buying water it was the same issue) Salinity is 1.025, temp is 78-79 and very minimal ammonia. Everything else is good.
What test kits are you using ? What test kits are THEY using ?
What is age of your tank ?
Have you tested your RO water for TDS and assure nitrates and phosphates not present from the unit ?
What intrument are you using to test for salt and has it been calibrated ?

OP
OP
R

RandyRovegno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ? What test kits are THEY using ?
What is age of your tank ?
Have you tested your RO water for TDS and assure nitrates and phosphates not present from the unit ?
What intrument are you using to test for salt and has it been calibrated ?
Not sure what tests they do but it's a combo of drops/tubes and some electronic. I've also had that digital spin test done many times and it comes back more/less fine (maybe a little high or low on something once in a while) I have not tested the water I use because I was assuming the RO/DI with charcoal filter would make it work. I've had the same issue with my own water and purchased water. For salt, I use ORAPXI digital (calibrated) and as a backup I use the ATC telescope thing. So the basic problem sources have been crossed off. I did read about perhaps low O2 so I just added a bubbler (but I have a big skimmer that aerates the sump) so I'm trying that.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure what tests they do but it's a combo of drops/tubes and some electronic. I've also had that digital spin test done many times and it comes back more/less fine (maybe a little high or low on something once in a while) I have not tested the water I use because I was assuming the RO/DI with charcoal filter would make it work. I've had the same issue with my own water and purchased water. For salt, I use ORAPXI digital (calibrated) and as a backup I use the ATC telescope thing. So the basic problem sources have been crossed off. I did read about perhaps low O2 so I just added a bubbler (but I have a big skimmer that aerates the sump) so I'm trying that.
Skimmer does not aerate sump and you may be seeing microbubbles. The spinner test is also API and not very accurate hence the sometimes high/low readings

OP
OP
R

RandyRovegno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer does not aerate sump and you may be seeing microbubbles. The spinner test is also API and not very accurate hence the sometimes high/low readings
Thanks for the info. Do you think the new fish could die due to lack of 02 and the others are used to it?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next time you buy a fish you should make up a few gallons of new salt water in a 5g bucket and get an airstone, a heater, and a pvc fitting for shelter. You should be able to keep the fish alive in there for weeks/months and it costs less than $20. If the fish makes it more than a week then its probably an issue in your tank, whether its bullying from the current fish or something else. If your fish die in that 5g bucket then you have a problem with the water you are making up.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was recommended that I post this in this forum as I'd previously posted in the general one (apologies if you've seen this before.). Since all my parameters are good, they say it could be a disease issue with new fish being exposed and my existing ones are immune? Can you please read my situation and if you know how to rectify the problem so I can add new fish without them dying in a week, I'd love your input.
Hi there! Someone might have already asked you this, but just in case.....what is your LFS salinity in the tanks you are getting your fish from? I know many LFS keep their fish in low salinity 1.020 and some even lower than that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back