New fish is dying...help

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I cycled my tank for several months and water parameters are perfect. This past Tuesday I added two beautiful davinci clowns. Yesterday they were both pooping white so I went and got recommended prazipro. I treated my 30 gal tank with 7.5 ML of Prazipro. One of my fish is now sitting on the sand tilting, but then will swim around just fine. I'm not sure what to do =(

They are sea and reef extreme davinci's. I got them from the LFS after 1 week they were there for. My tank was cycled with dr tims method.

The other fish seems to be fine.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I cycled my tank for several months and water parameters are perfect. This past Tuesday I added two beautiful davinci clowns. Yesterday they were both pooping white so I went and got recommended prazipro. I treated my 30 gal tank with 7.5 ML of Prazipro. One of my fish is now sitting on the sand tilting, but then will swim around just fine. I'm not sure what to do =(

They are sea and reef extreme davinci's. I got them from the LFS after 1 week they were there for. My tank was cycled with dr tims method.

The other fish seems to be fine.
For treatment of intestinal parasites/worms, the best method is to soak the food you are feeding them with general cure.

Dosing prazi in the water may help some but is not likely to erradicate the worms or parasites internally.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-pathogens.267419/

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post your parameters please? Alk, Cal, Mag, Phos, PH, Nitrates, Phos, temp and SG. How did you acclimate them?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For treatment of intestinal parasites/worms, the best method is to soak the food you are feeding them with general cure.

Dosing prazi in the water may help some but is not likely to erradicate the worms or parasites internally.
Thanks for that insight. However unfortunately I was told to treat the water and am now facing this situation.

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me as well. I bought a pair of Clownfish and only one survived. It's always good to quarantine. I know it's a hassle but just invest in a small aquarium and cycle it properly. If you don't, then you will always have that one fish that can't survive whatever disease is in your tank already and they will always die.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that insight. However unfortunately I was told to treat the water and am now facing this situation.
Is the fish still eating?

Have you checked for ammonia?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for 8 weeks and inverts went in 2 weeks ago. All fine.

Acclimated drip method 1-2 drops for 1 hour. Alk 10 cal 450 mag 1430 ph 7.9-8.1 phos 0.05 temp 77.3-78.3 nitrate 5

They were doing fine from Tues to Friday night, that's when I noticed the white poop. LfS said this will treat like many threads on here...

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed prazi pro yesterday afternoon....perhaps I should put the carbon back in?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for 8 weeks and inverts went in 2 weeks ago. All fine.

Acclimated drip method 1-2 drops for 1 hour. Alk 10 cal 450 mag 1430 ph 7.9-8.1 phos 0.05 temp 77.3-78.3 nitrate 5

They were doing fine from Tues to Friday night, that's when I noticed the white poop. LfS said this will treat like many threads on here...
If you are dealing with intestinal worms it may help if you soak the food with the prazi, but unfortunately dosing in the water only works for treating external worms like flukes etc.

Drip acclimating could possibly have caused ammonia exposure as well. I am not a fan of drip acclimating. I just make sure the tank that they are going into matches the salinity of the bag water. Float for 30 min to temp acclimate and then release.

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Metroplex from Seachem. But yea the fish actually have to consume the food..just don't forget to get the other part to the treatment which is called Focus only binds the medication to the food I believe.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Metroplex from Seachem. But yea the fish actually have to consume the food..just don't forget to get the other part to the treatment which is called Focus only binds the medication to the food I believe.
You are correct.

Metro + focus treats internal parasites.

General cure + focus treats both internal parasites and worms.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so what exactly would I need to do to soak the food in prazi, to make sure I dont OD them?

Also, is my fish even in the condition to handle anything if its sitting on the bottom on occasion?

Just trying to save the fish here....carbon, water change?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with HotRocks re: ammonia possibility. Adding two new fish doubled tanks load. In a smaller tank that's alot. If you have a skimmer I'ld crank it up to wet skim for a day or two, up your flow get more oxygen going in tank.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...so many options. A bit overwhelmed here.
General cure + focus is your best option. Unless you have a microscope to I'd what's in the poop. It covers all the bases.

The dosage is 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure added to 1 tablespoon of frozen prepared food.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with HotRocks re: ammonia possibility. Adding two new fish doubled tanks load. In a smaller tank that's alot. If you have a skimmer I'ld crank it up to wet skim for a day or two, up your flow get more oxygen going in tank.
I have just done this. No ammonia though....been testing religiously with salifert.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish right now can both eat like 1/8 cube of frozen mysis. Otherwise it clouds the tank. So I will need to mix carefully.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I should put the carbon back in to pull the prazi pro out?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back