New fish is dying...help

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish right now can both eat like 1/8 cube of frozen mysis. Otherwise it clouds the tank. So I will need to mix carefully.

It's best to thaw the cubes and strain off the liquid to add the meds at the proper concentration. Then refrigerate or refreeze after you have added the meds and feed as you need.

If using refrigerator, only store for a few days and toss and make new.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I should put the carbon back in to pull the prazi pro out?
No, as recommended above increase your aeration by upping skimmer and aiming a powerhead upward to break surface tension.

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with HotRocks re: ammonia possibility. Adding two new fish doubled tanks load. In a smaller tank that's alot. If you have a skimmer I'ld crank it up to wet skim for a day or two, up your flow get more oxygen going in tank.
I've learned that the hard way as well. You know what is crazy...I switched my hydor pump with a sicce...the flow part couldn't be more true as well as the skimmer of course. Oxygen helps.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct.

Metro + focus treats internal parasites.

General cure + focus treats both internal parasites and worms.

So I plan to put coral in this tank in the future. Would general cure or focus affect coral later on? (I do understand I'm only soaking in the food, but still wanted to make sure).

Looks like I can get api general cure at petco, but would a LFS carry focus...?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that the hard way as well. You know what is crazy...I switched my hydor pump with a sicce...the flow part couldn't be more true as well as the skimmer of course. Oxygen helps.

Yeah I gotcha. I've got two mp 10's and a mighty jet 538 on a nuvo40 aio. I'm still tinkering with the flow, but I've got the two MP10's running at about 30% each and the mighty jet at 70%. Hopefully that's decent enough flow

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I increased my flow, turned on skimmer, fan and pointed return up and the fish started swimming around more. Not sure if that's a good sign or just because of flow increase.

Petco didn't have general cure or focus =(

I will need to make a trip to LFS....the one that sold me prazipro and the fish !

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a visual of the tank, powerhead placement, etc.

20190512_140014.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a day or so, fish movement is a good sign. IMO tank was stagnant to rid of ammonia and other elements and fish were still getting use to new surroundings.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to LFS and they only had general cure but no focus. My only option is to order online and get it in a few days.

In the meantime kept all aeration up as much as possible with skimmer running. Fish isn't doing all that great. This time when I fed them mysis shrimp and soaked NLS pellets they ate a little but mostly nibbled and spit it out....its hikari frozen mysis.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So its been almost 3 days since i dosed the prazipro and my fish are still pooping a solid white. When should I deem prazipro a fail and move onto the General Cure + Focus method of soaking the food for the fish?

Should anything be done to the Prazipro currently in the water if i start the General Cure + Focus food soaking method?

Honestly i wish i initially went with the GC + Focus from the start.

Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there? Sorry if I've offended anyone! Not sure why everyone stopped responding haha....

@HotRocks do you have any thoughts for my next steps? Thank you.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there? Sorry if I've offended anyone! Not sure why everyone stopped responding haha....

@HotRocks do you have any thoughts for my next steps? Thank you.
You can safely feed the medicated food with the prazi in the water. No issues there. I would start ASAP. As the internal parasites/worms will eventually cause enough irritation that the fish will stop eating then it is near impossible to get the medication digested.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let PraziPro work. You might have to dose again (they rec after 5 days) Also what is your SG?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let PraziPro work. You might have to dose again (they rec after 5 days) Also what is your SG?
What do you mean let it work? It degrades in the water quickly. Dosing it in the water (even twice) isn't going to be effective for the issue at hand. If we were talking about flukes or something external I would agree.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely feed the medicated food with the prazi in the water. No issues there. I would start ASAP. As the internal parasites/worms will eventually cause enough irritation that the fish will stop eating then it is near impossible to get the medication digested.
Just to double verify. It's okay to combine general cure with focus and food, while prazi is in the water.

My general cure and focus should be in today. Thanks again for the responses

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to double verify. It's okay to combine general cure with focus and food, while prazi is in the water.

My general cure and focus should be in today. Thanks again for the responses
Yes, it is ok, and your fish need it asap. @HotRocks is one of the experts here, he knows what he's talking about

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi @HotRocks ,

My amazon delivery got messed up and focus wont get here till next week. (They messed up the "same day" delivery for just focus on amazon, so strange!!!, it even says now "free one day" then says itll come in a week.)

Anyways, I've decided to get the Metro + Focus package on amazon so I can get it tonight (NO LFS sell Focus around here either, strange).

Is it still okay to use METRO with FOCUS for food, while Prazi is in the water? My previous question was GC + prazi, but now changing meds, so wanted to make sure.

If the proffered choice is still GC over Metro, I'll just pay the additional $12 bucks to get both. Thanks !

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back