New Fish Keep Dying

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, i have a Redsea max s400 up and running for 2 months. Originally had a biocube 32 with a yellow and blue tang (both are small) have 2 clowns and purple dottyback and a ywg. Transferred to new tank a month ago after cycling using dr. Tims for almost a month. Since then I’ve added a swissguard basket, a flame angel and a mccoskers wrasse.
the basslet and flame angel all died within 2 weeks. Now the McCoskers wrasse who was added a week ago i found him on his side this morning not dead yet but won’t be long I think. He has been doing great for past week eating like a pig. I’m really confused since all the original inhabitants are doing fine and all the new fish I’ve added have died. I water test twice a week. Ammonia is 0, nitrites have seem to have stalled around 5 and nitrates are 1. Ph is currently at .06. Any help would be appreciated.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with new additions. I believe mine was due to bullying, even though I sometimes didn't see it. Just too much stress in my tank whenever I added someone new. I had to start over (excepting the YWG) and add each next fish quickly and thoughtfully. Water parameters were always fine. BTW all mine died within the first week, many within a few days
I also got rid of a large emerald crab... don't know if he was the issue???

Last edited:

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system is not done cycling with Nitrites @ 5 ppm. Allow more time for cycle completion due to being a young tank.

In addition, I noticed that a Dottyback was part of the list of tank inhabitants. They are notorious for being aggressive, so I would pay attention to that particular fish to see if it is bullying others.

Best of luck and enjoy the hobby.

OP
OP
C

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What practices do you use when introducing new fish?
I don’t have a qt tank. I put them in a small acclimation box and keep them there until lights out then release them into tank. Not sure bullying is the issue. And all that have died have been in tank 7-10 days with no issues. All the original 6 fish that came from biocube to s400 are fine. Been checking water twice a week since this started. All new fish have come from same online store. Largest store out here with out throwing their name out.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cycled for a month, then tried to add 9 fish into the tank in one month, the biofilter was not strong enough to handle the bioload. Big tank or small tank, 9 fish in one month is way too fast. One or two fish every few weeks is the safer way

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back