Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters
ph 8.0
salinity 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates ~5.0ppm

i had 2-4 small clownfish in this tank, they seem fine during the day but then i find them dead in the morning, not sure what is wrong, i dont see any visible disease symptoms, they were eating and swimming fine, they always seem to die in night

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters
ph 8.0
salinity 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates ~5.0ppm

i had 2-4 small clownfish in this tank, they seem fine during the day but then i find them dead in the morning, not sure what is wrong, i dont see any visible disease symptoms, they were eating and swimming fine, they always seem to die in night

There are a variety of reasons this could have happened.

How long did you have the clownfish?
Were there any other fish or invertebrates in the tank, how do they look?

Most likely, there were symptoms the day before, but they might have been subtle and you missed them - clamped fins, rapid breathing for example.

Here is a link to some helpful hints regarding posting a fish disease problem report:

Jay

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of reasons this could have happened.

How long did you have the clownfish?
Were there any other fish or invertebrates in the tank, how do they look?

Most likely, there were symptoms the day before, but they might have been subtle and you missed them - clamped fins, rapid breathing for example.

Here is a link to some helpful hints regarding posting a fish disease problem report:

Jay
Had them for about 2-3 days, they are the only fish in the tank, i have four hermit crabs, they are fine. After the two died I for two new ones and they died the same way, after 2-3 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a number of reasons why they died - poor quality fish to begin with, water problems or a disease issue. I was hoping to rule out water quality (if fish die, but invertebrates are thriving, then it isn't a water issue). Trouble is, hermit crabs are so hardy, that they can't be used as a indicator for poor water quality.

Jay

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a number of reasons why they died - poor quality fish to begin with, water problems or a disease issue. I was hoping to rule out water quality (if fish die, but invertebrates are thriving, then it isn't a water issue). Trouble is, hermit crabs are so hardy, that they can't be used as a indicator for poor water quality.

Jay
Do you think I should try to treat the tank with a broad spectrum treatment while there are no fish?

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us a run down of your tank, hardware, dosing ect ect.

Then we can start to go through the list of possible causes.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g long, aquaclear 50, no sand, just live rock, has been cycled for about a month, just started to add two fish, I do 10% water change twice a week

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g long, aquaclear 50, no sand, just live rock, has been cycled for about a month, just started to add two fish, I do 10% water change twice a week
Are there any wave makers or power heads in the tank?

If no, then I'm 99.9% sure its oxygen starvation. As your tank's only flow/circulation and surface agitation is from the hang on back filter. And you don't mention a skimmer which also greatly improves water oxygenation.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any wave makers or power heads in the tank?

If no, then I'm 99.9% sure its oxygen starvation. As your tank's only flow/circulation and surface agitation is from the hang on back filter. And you don't mention a skimmer which also greatly improves water oxygenation.
sorry i forgot to mention i have an airstone in there as well

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you did not mention your tanks temp. Or if you drip acclimated your new fish or not.
my tank is 76.6 degrees, i did not drip acclimate, just floated them, i believe the parameters were very close

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i forgot to mention i have an airstone in there as well
You will need more surface agitation for gas exchange to take place and effectively remove carbon dioxide and oxygenation. Even though you have an air stone in the tank and it does give some oxygen to the water, because you have hardly any water movement in your tank the oxygen rich water is localized the the spot where the air stone is. Add two power heads, one pointed to the center of the water surface and one for random flow and you will immediately fix your oxygen problem!

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 76.6 degrees, i did not drip acclimate, just floated them, i believe the parameters were very close
Drip acclimate EVERY time you add any new live stock. If you add anything to your tank that does not come from another tank that is tied into the same system, then the water WILL be different!

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can toss freshwater mollies straight in and they survive I’m quite sure the clowns would have survived going from lfs water to 1.023.

a video of the fish before while they’re being “normal” may help. IMHO I think clowns aren’t nearly as hardy as advertised especially with with all the inbreeding to achieve certain color morphs

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back