New Fish Possibly Dying?

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I purchased a black cap basslet online and it got delivered to me yesterday. Upon delivery I acclimated the fish and put it directly into my cycles QT and it’s been lying down on its side ever since. I checked up on it earlier this morning and it was still at the same spot. The breathing seems to be normal and not heavy. Is this normal for black caps or is there something wrong? I haven’t tried feeding it as I just haven’t found a reason to yet since it still seems stressed out. No visible white spots or external parasites, fins are perfectly fine and not ragged at all. Should I try to feed it later?

OP
OP
VO6

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish seems to be curious when I approach the aquarium, it’s eyes follow me

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you give it a good place to hide and retreat. A simple pvc pipe will work perfect for you. I would see if the fish will accept food sooner rather than later as that is a major indicator of any parasites or diseases.

OP
OP
VO6

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you give it a good place to hide and retreat. A simple pvc pipe will work perfect for you. I would see if the fish will accept food sooner rather than later as that is a major indicator of any parasites or diseases.
I do, I stacked pvc pipes on top of each other to resemble the caves and stuff found in the deeper water they’re found in. I’m gonna try frozen brine

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not A good sign if it’s uninterested In food. Try frozen frenzy to try to get them to eat. Maybe some live foods either black worms or white worms should get the fish interested. Good luck !

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home I’ll try snap a pic. I floated for 20 and dumped him in since he was shipped to me
That rules out ammonia build up from long ac, but it does enter in salinity shock.
was there a big difference between the salinity?

OP
OP
VO6

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rules out ammonia build up from long ac, but it does enter in salinity shock.
was there a big difference between the salinity?
There was not, I made sure to check the salinity prior to dumping him. He’s actually not lying down anymore however he is swimming upright against the black panel of the tank where the pvc pipes are, I’m assuming he’s just hiding at this point.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was not, I made sure to check the salinity prior to dumping him. He’s actually not lying down anymore however he is swimming upright against the black panel of the tank where the pvc pipes are, I’m assuming he’s just hiding at this point.
Huh... just keep an eye on him, nothing strikes me as oh no

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back