new fish suggestions

miatawnt2b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,
dwarf lion is the way to go for your tank. Lions, Stonefish and any other scorpionfish for that matter are dirty fish. They represent a huge bioload for a tank, and a full size lion would be a no-no for a 75 reef. Also realize these fish are pretty specialized, and cannot live on normal feedings/food you would normally feed your reef.

-J

Last edited:

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im starting to do alot of homework on them reading up and the feedings seem to be a little harder becouse you have to basicly target feed them with table shirmp.but if also read that after a few weeks to months in the tank that they might trashfer over to eating what ever you feed the rest of the tank. the site said to weim them off the table shirmp to the miyis but i dont think i would do that. i would just keep them on a food they like to keep them happy. has anyone on this form ever kept a lion fish.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp work well. I had a few big ones when I had a FOWLR that took frozen krill and silversides, but generally they like live food. One of the big challenges is that they're often kept with more aggressive fish and it's tough to feed them. I'd highly suggest that you not put one in a reef, not when it will probably eat what's in there to begin with. IMO, this is irresponsible reefkeeping. You can't just keep getting incompatible stuff just because you think it might be neat to have a different animal in there. Accidents happen, and there's a learning curve to be sure, but when you're saying, "well, if it eats my chromis and shrimp, so be it cuz I want this fish more" that's something that I can't support.

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i would get one it would be a dwarf they only get to about 6-7 inches. they are awesome fish, they sit and wait for prey to swim by then BAM they hit it. now i am thinking about getting one

Wet Pets always has these dwarf lion fish.

miatawnt2b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a stonefish in his own aquarium. I trained him to eat dry cat food. He was super aggressive when I would come to the tank because he knew he was getting fed. Made it dangerous to clean the tank.

-J

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to setup my 10 gallon maybe for a single fish but not sure if anything could go in a tank that small. like a frogfish or something of that nature.

Back