new fish yay

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today my lfs got a new shipment a and got some new fish for my tanks
for my 29 gallon bc got
2 fire fish they are in a cave not moving ? anyone know why they are just there laying
2 yellow clown gobies

for my 54 gallon corner
2 kaudern cardinals
toadstool leather
and a colony of leathers can identify them :D they just look cool

pastel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see pics!!!
My firefish were shy for the first few weeks I got them... now that they're comfy they're always out and about, though!

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will point of sale pics tomorrow of them dont want to flash the light at them :)
i cant find one of my clown goby haha god know where he went

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he is still hiding :D

IMG_4425.JPEG

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just comes out to drop my frags out of the rock and goes back in best pic i could get of them there are two there

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ewcc1993 -- How long have you had the two firefish together? I always hear horror stories with mixing firefish species. Any issues?

@jorge0912 -- They will take awhile to get used to things and come out. They're shy. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep your distance from the tank. Trust me, they don't want to be under the rock hiding. They're actively looking for a reason to come out, the most important reason to start with is not being afraid of their environment.

To them, they're snack sized fish. You're a big monster who keeps staring at them. And who knows when the next predator is coming around the corner.

So as they realize the odds of seeing a shark are low. And they come to see you as the food monster, and not just the monster, they'll be happy to come out and look around. It'll be slow at first.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aww poor them hahah and my baby is always starring at the cave hahaha poor fish

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All part of the hobby @jorge0912 -- Remember, they just went through an alien abduction to boot. From floating around the reef, to in a bag, shipped around the world, to some random LFS in a strange glass box and now in some monsters home.

I don't know what to compare it to other than an alien abduction, really..

When a bird will fly by the window all my fish freak out -- they all know what a bird is, and it means danger. But they never saw one of you before! They'll figure it out. Just make sure to offer lots of frozen foods at first, they're more likely to eat mysis and spiralina brine.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have not seen them eat also my clown gobies or cardinals ill take ur advice to give them frozen food ... as the yellow clown gobies concern me as they hardly come out what kind of frozen food u recomend ??? maybe someting i can buy a petsmart as i have no petco and my lfs is like 1:30 mins away

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Hikari frozen food. Get Mysis shrimp, and Spirulina Brine. Fish will take those usually. If they don't have Hikari, that's okay, the type of foods you should get are still Mysis and Spirulina Brine. If they don't have Spirulina brine, see about baby brine.

Stay away from frozen mixes at first. So some foods will say it contains bass, squid, mussels, abalone, clam, etc etc etc. Stick to simple mysis and brine for now, it's easier and fish respond well to them.

I would take one cube of each, put them in a small glass container, and put it in the fridge to let it thaw slowly (Or if you want to offer them food quickly, you can mix it up with a few table spoons of tank water) and feed them some of the mix -- I use a 2ml pipette for food. use whatever you want to feed with, but only feed a bit at a time, especially at first.

Whats gonna happen is the food is gonna smell great, and they're gonna poke their heads out, see you, and then probably go back to hiding. So feed, and then stand far away from the tank to let them feel secure. If they come out, and eat everything up, come back and feed them a little more. When fish are eating for the first time, I don't worry about overfeeding them. Some of these fish have come halfway around the world and not eaten for 2+ weeks. They are hungry, but they're also scared. A fish can hide and starve to death.

When you have new fish, you must remember at all times -- "Calories into fish", getting calories into them is all that matters.

Keep the frozen food in a plastic bag in the freezer so it doesn't spoil. And the food you have in the bowl should probably last you 2-4 days. two cubes would last me about two days the way I feed -- Leave that glassware in the fridge, do not refreeze foods.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem, glad it helped.

Last thing -- I've come to realize some people have very weak biological filtration in their tanks. So when you start to feed a lot of food, make sure to test your water to ensure you don't have ammonia build up. If you do, run Carbon, it will help.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back