New Fish

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 Gal tank, that I purchased used. I had the tank for about three months and the heater quit working. So I had an outbreak of Ick / velvet. So I lost a few fish.

I am looking to replenish (after my holding time is up)

Presently I have
2 Firefish
1 Flame Angle
2 Marion Clowns (male and Female) ~3"
1 Yellow Tang ~3"
Diamond Watch Goby ~4"

I also have for clean up crew
several blue and red Hermit crabs
Several snails some 1 @ 1'2" and 1 @ 3"
3 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Red Band Shrimp

I would like to add

1 Royal Gamma
2 to 3 Pajama Cardinal
2 to 3 Three Strip Damsels (May be to aggressive)
A Blue Tang - Wife wants a Dory fish
1 Six Line Wrasses
Replace the Dragnet

Want to add the fish to increase the bio load to be able to have more LPS and eventually SPS's. Presently my protein skimmer is as low as it can go. The refugium is growing slowly. I have 0.25 Phos, and 2 PPM NO4. Alkalinity and Calcium are at 8 drop and 25 drop. So chemistry is looking better. Finally have tank stable at 78F.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the bioload will be ok. But 0.25 phosphate is high. I do not know what your alk and cal are. I am more familiar with ppm, mg/l, or dkh. What test kit are you using?
I would avoid the damsels they will bully the other fish. A sixline wrasse may also become aggressive, although I personally never had a aggressive one. A blue tang should have a 6' tank to be comfortable. A 120 gallon is only 4 foot. I would not recommend it. It can be done if you can correctly aquascape so the blue tang can make circles around the tank instead of side to side however.
If you did not qt the fish and go fallow after the velvet outbreak, that means you still have them. That means new fish is susceptible to it. Especially the blue tang.
Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Edmunds Reef

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I use an API test, so it is hard to tell when they are on the low end.

Back