New Flame hawkfish. White spot on head and one on body. Suspected bullying?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Flame hawk. Out of the bag had subdued coloration, somewhat milky. There was also a smallish barely raised spot on his forehead where the mark is. I figured it from shipping stress. He took to the water and did well yesterday. He ate, he hid a little. Now, 24 hours later he is clinging to the rocks under a cave with two large spots that look like lesions and the white on his sides is still there. The lesion on his forehead seems to be growing as well.

He's in a 25g AIO

Stocked with

6 year old oscellaris clown
1" orange stripe goby
2" fire fish
1.5" chalk bass

none of the other inhabitants are acting strange or refusing food. None of the others have these lesions or marks.

Clown is mean

78 degrees
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
5 nitrate

What do you think?

PXL_20230521_102908121~3.jpg

He is now alone in a 14g until a decision is made what to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is treatment with Prazi in the tank and Ciprofloxacin baths while he heals a good general course of action?

Just got a great photo of the side. Sorry about the self bumps.
PXL_20230521_121146766~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping stress would have caused it to have issues right out of the bag. A disease that it came in with could have gotten worse since its arrival, but in the end, I wonder the clownfish has mistaken it for a competitor, and has attacked it?

Clownfish are sly, when you are in the room watching it, it may behave nice, but then attack the hawkfish when you leave the room. Also, damage like this can be done with just a few good bites that take mere seconds, so the chance of you ever seeing it happen are minimal.

Jay

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping stress would have caused it to have issues right out of the bag. A disease that it came in with could have gotten worse since its arrival, but in the end, I wonder the clownfish has mistaken it for a competitor, and has attacked it?

Clownfish are sly, when you are in the room watching it, it may behave nice, but then attack the hawkfish when you leave the room. Also, damage like this can be done with just a few good bites that take mere seconds, so the chance of you ever seeing it happen are minimal.

Jay
I appreciate your response Jay! I hate to do this but maybe you can put my mind at ease here. The more I poke around the more I find the most terrible things that I can blame this on.

This doesn't look like uronema to you does it? I ask because if it is I suppose I should start a round of chloroquine? Whether he makes it or not.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your response Jay! I hate to do this but maybe you can put my mind at ease here. The more I poke around the more I find the most terrible things that I can blame this on.

This doesn't look like uronema to you does it? I ask because if it is I suppose I should start a round of chloroquine? Whether he makes it or not.

The lesion on its side *could* be Uronema, the one on its head, not likely. You can't dose your tank with chloroquine, it will kill your corals. Internal Uronema is not really contagious to other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesion on its side *could* be Uronema, the one on its head, not likely. You can't dose your tank with chloroquine, it will kill your corals. Internal Uronema is not really contagious to other fish.

Jay
Thank you, I meant chloroquine for the QT. Regardless, I appreciate you help!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back