New formulae for comp 123+

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by Barry Bowen, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Barry Bowen

Barry Bowen Active Member

Hi
    I've just started mixing my own comp 1+2+3+ using this recipe below.

[​IMG]

Now with the new formula, does it stay exactly the same except Mg goes into 3+ now using same dosages/amounts ?

120reefkeeper likes this.
    Tags:
  2. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Yes

3. Barry Bowen

Ok
    Thank you

4. Jonathan Iu

Jonathan Iu Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Can you substitute ** Ca, Mg and KH with something else?

5. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

All of these mixing instructions are designed to be used with Aquaforest products alone. I cannot vouch for any other company's products or their purity or strength.

6. rob safron

rob safron Well-Known Member

How much do you save by mixing your own

7. 120reefkeeper

I would say better than half.

Here's a helpful video that goes into detail. This is the original recipe. You can mix it either way.

The difference is in the original the magnesium goes into component 1+. The new recipe the magnesium goes into component +3.

8. rob safron

Thanks I may go that route. My 120 is using 200 mls per day and going through the stuff quickly.

9. 120reefkeeper

My recommendation would be if you mix your own like in the video, start off with half of what your currently using . Test test test. Adjust accordingly.

Anirban likes this.
  10. rob safron

Right now my Alk runs 7.1-7.2 CA 430 and MG 1410. If I want to raise Alk to 7.5-8.0 and bring down Mg, what do you suggest. I run theoretically a ULNS, undetectable Phoshate and Nitrate. But do clean the glass every other day.

11. 120reefkeeper

You can mix up your own Alkalinity independently according to the directions on the Kh powder . Your mag is just fine where it's at.

Dose up your Kh a little to get where you want to be and then continue your dosing at your current rate. All you need to do is a little Kh bump is all.

12. Barry Bowen

I'm no pro at this but I like to get the correct dosage of Kh ( comp2 ) first and then dose comp 1 & 3 as recommended to dose all 3 equally.
    I have noticed when mixing my own with new formula, I get less residue in comp 1 than I did in old recipe

Anirban and 120reefkeeper like this.
  13. Ezeke1

Ezeke1 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Thanks for putting this info together:). Have you tried using double the ingredients for an extra strength formula? Larger tanks end up dosing close to 200ml a day at the normal formula so it would be nice if we can half the dose amount.

14. 120reefkeeper

You can only saturate a solution so much. If you mix your own according to the video it will be stronger, I guarantee it.

I am in no way endorsing mixing it stronger than that.

Ezeke1 likes this.
  15. helldiver

helldiver Well-Known Member Louisiana Reef Club

What do u adjust your dosage to what parameters

16. 120reefkeeper

To start you need to get all your parameters in line.

Let's say for example you want to maintain an Alkalinity of 7.5 dkh. The balancing point for calcium at a 7.5dkh is about 415ppm. You need your magnesium around 1350 to 1400ppm.

Once you have your big three parameters set then you'll need to measure you Alkalinity consumption on a daily basis.

Let's say you measure your Alkalinity at 4pm each day and you see that your Alkalinity goes from 7.5dkh on day 1 and 24 hours later it's 7.2 dkh.

You now know that your using .3dkh per day.

This is what you need to match your component +2 to. So you adjust you dosing of component 2 until you no longer loose dkh or gain dkh.

So let's say you end up dosing 40ml per day to keep your Alkalinity stable. Then you will match your component 1,3 to the same level .... 40ml per day.

17. Joe252

Joe252 New Member

I cannot find the answer to my problem - I was dosing in separate parts of different concentrations for everything including iodine and strontium , I decided to take a leap of faith and try the equal dosing of the Mag,KH,,Ca2, and reef mineral salt in conjunction with strong a,b,cand k - mixed in this concentration...
    Solution .....
    mixing for 3 L
    • Solution 1
    • 150g Calcium Chloride Dihydrate
    • 30g Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate
    • 15ml Aquaforest Components Strong A
    • 15ml Aquaforest Components Strong B
    • Solution 2
    • 240g Sodium Carbonate
    • 15ml Aquaforest Components Strong C
    • Solution 3
    • 240g Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt
    • 15ml Aquaforest Component K
    so long story short , my perrameters have gone from perfect to almost too low KH and Ca2 with Mag at 1530! - its been a steady trend so its going to continue , I was told to allow for levels to stabilize but if it goes any longer im gonna have problems ...
    what do I do ?? if im supposed to dose equal right ? so if I crank up all three to bring up CA2 and KH my magnesium will go thru the roof more than it already is , and there is no way to lower the dosing ...

can I just adjust my first solution with less magnesium then increase dosing without increasing magnesium levels ?
    again for 3L
    • Solution 1
    • 150g Calcium Chloride Dihydrate
    • 15g Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate <- drop Magnesium Chloride from 30 G in 3L to 15 for now ?
    • 15ml Aquaforest Components Strong A
    • 15ml Aquaforest Components Strong B

18. Aquaforest

Aquaforest Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor