New Forum, New Frag Tank - Custom Cube

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've made a build thread or really posted for that matter. I am running out of room in my 120 and have decided I want to start selling frags online. This build is going to be much more budget than the big tank but I will have it dialed in.

Last week while selling some Beach Bum frags online I realized how much easier things would be if I had a dedicated tank to house these frags in. I currently have 3 racks in my big tank that are full of random stuff that I always seem to forget about. About the only good thing RC is still good for is looking to buy or selling stuff locally.

I put up a quick thread asking if anyone had a 24" cube frag tank setup sitting around. Within an hour or so I got a message from an old reefing buddy saying that he still had an old frag tank setup that I had sold him. I had completely forgotten that I sold him a nice cube setup that I had made from scratch. I had built the tank from sheets of glass and the stand from plywood. If you want more information on that part I can post some of the photos from the original thread on RC.

Yesterday he dropped off the tank and stand along with a sump and skimmer that he had acquired elsewhere. I'm excited to get this back up and running because I had actually built it these dimensions because when I bought the current house it was the largest I could fit in that spot. It's back in the same exact spots and still had the holes in the ceiling for the mounting kit.

I'll be updating this thread as I go.

Here's the tank in its old spot.
NZKEMA5.jpg

Here it is with the door pulled off
sDyN7Rj.jpg

A shot with the big tank around the corner
Ayshhlo.jpg

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys think that will be adequate flow for a sps frag tank? I dont want to test them out just incase I want to send them back. The people over at reefbreeders said it would be plenty but thought I'd ask.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out the acrylic baffles today and cleaned it and the skimmer up. I pulled apart an old 20 gallon long that has been sitting in the shed. I will be cutting baffles out of it.

Anyone have a design for cube like sumps? Think I want it to go in a circle instead of from the left side to right side.

A6BB7u3.png

dxICTLn.png

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played with a few different layouts for the sump but decided on this layout after talking to some people here on r2r.

VgCuyYu.png

Here are the dimensions of it laid out so far.

YL3yY4P.png

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is so far.... I realized that as is the fuge and return sections are going to fill up at the same time once the skimmer section is full. That means with this design the baffles are basically useless...

u4cGXUc.png

Since I want them to fill in order I will silicon another strip of glass between the skimmer section and the return section that goes a little long. It will be a little long so that the water doesnt seep over around into the return section. I'll then mount the last baffle to the extra strip. With this design there would no be no other way to around doing it this way.... I think...

A08hyOt.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back