New found hobby

_DeeJ_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
My name is DJ and I'm just getting into saltwater aquariums. It's been something that I have wanted to do for years and I finally pulled the plug on it.
I recently purchased a 110g tall tank and stand for a really good deal and now I feel like a toddler, with the amount of questions I have running through my mind .
I know some may say a 110g is to big for a beginner but I'm up for the challenge. Plus after doing a little research and seeing how well big tanks stabilize over smaller tanks I just felt is was right for me.
The plan is to take it slow and learn as much as I can from fellow reefers. I look forward to seeing all the different builds and hearing from everyone's experience.
Here is a picture of my tank. Yes I plan on drilling the tank and running a full sump system. Any opinions on particular equipment and brands I'm open to hear them.
MVIMG_20191115_163929.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations on your new tank! If you haven't read it already, I encourage you to read this R2R article:

#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
_DeeJ_

_DeeJ_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations on your new tank! If you haven't read it already, I encourage you to read this R2R article:

#WelcometoR2R
Thank you. I will be doing alot of reading for this.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was a little concerned about the light coming in promoting algae growth but I think I will be putting up curtains to block it out anyway.

I don't think will affect that much unless the sun hit that side straight.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned, go heavy on the lighting. You've got a very deep tank there. I went the HOB route for the overflow because I didn't feel like going through the drilling and risking it, but eShopps makes great products.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Very nice tank you have! Actually as you mention, larger tanks are easier to start with and learn, thing is everything its bigger and larger, so more expensive.
I've just started a 110gal also, you are very welcome to look at my building thread if you like. Although mine will be no sump.
Setting up and cleaning with that deep is very challenging. Mine is 28" deep and making aquascape was difficult.
Now I'm looking for budget lighting, so we can share thoughts.
Congrats!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back