New FOWLR tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to buy a bunch of fish from the same source - that I want - then - I dont have to worry about disease as much. BUT - my favorite fish is a harlequin tusk. OR - you could do a trio of semilarvatus butterflies (depending on the size of the tank) - i..e get what you want

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes love my australian “Harley” tusk. They are much more passive and even tempered, in fact a bit of a “wussy” then people think. So if you want him to be comfortable and always out and about, I would recommend to put him in first in the tank. He won’t bother any other fish after and will be so comfortable that he will eat out of your hand in no time. After he settles then add all other fish in order of least aggressive to most aggressive.

I will be adding my last 3 fish to my 625g FOWLR soon and they will be triggers (clown, niger and humu). One can argue that some of my Angels (emperor and Queen) or tangs (Achilles or YT) would have been better candidates for last fish added but I think it will be ok adding the 3 triggers at same time as the last bunch. They are all under 4 inches each.

My 6 inch Harley is in the 240g semi reef and was added first. I just got a conspic and blue line angels from Poma labs who are now in there with him and they are getting along beautifully.

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my more peaceful fish first. My scopas tang, foxface, yellowtail damsel, & clownfish went in first. Then I added my future boss angel at only 3", then my fish that can do damage. Triggers, puffers, & harlequin tusk.

Honestly I miss my inverts. Triggers & tusk are awesome. I think at this point I liked it better when I had an urchin, shrimp, & all the rest. My kids liked it better as well.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone of course have there preference. In my case its always been more about the fish but certainly understand those who differ.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back