New frag and Aiptasia

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new frag today, was looking great at the store and didn’t notice any issues. I’ve come home and it’s been in the tank for a couple hours and I noticed some aiptasia on the frag plug.
Any suggestions on what to do?

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new frag today, was looking great at the store and didn’t notice any issues. I’ve come home and it’s been in the tank for a couple hours and I noticed some aiptasia on the frag plug.
Any suggestions on what to do?
GET RID OF IT NOW....that stuff takes over your tank...I’ve tried shrimp they don’t do crap either dip the frag or toss it before they multiply and they spread fast

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for what to dip it in?
I’d use aiptasia x I love it kills them immediately but tbh once they’re in your tank your kinda screwed even when I kill them all new ones will appear I just learnt to deal with it ...once they start spreading its game over kill that thing asap

OP
OP
NanoJHB

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use aiptasia x I love it kills them immediately but tbh once they’re in your tank your kinda screwed even when I kill them all new ones will appear I just learnt to deal with it ...once they start spreading its game over kill that thing asap
Thanks, yeah glad I'll spotted it quickly so hopefully can sort it out

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take the frag plug out and put some superglue over the aiptasia and not whatever coral you purchased? It helps to not tick them off and multiply and basically just smothers them to death

OP
OP
NanoJHB

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take the frag plug out and put some superglue over the aiptasia and not whatever coral you purchased? It helps to not tick them off and multiply and basically just smothers them to death
I did thanks, it's a micromussa. The skeleton was a decent size so I managed to remove the frag plug it came on, then put some superglue over all the aiptasia that I could see. Gonna keep my eye on it the next few days and hopefully it works

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have the same issue

48BB54F9-C232-4608-B813-FFEB4A0EDB4F.jpeg

this is the underside of a montipora frag plug. The aiptasia is literally on the top side of the plug under the montipora that has encrusted about 80% of the frag plug

68D01E53-BBDD-438E-81DD-65B6EEDA1DB0.jpeg

should I just toss the frag? Try to break a piece off and put it on another frag mount? The aiptasia squeaks back into its hole if it’s disturbed & I don’t want to seal the water/frag under the montipora with super glue

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it but I used aiptasia on it just now that stuffs magic I kinda wanted to keep it but I knew it would just keep spreading she was the biggest I seen

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back