New frag color change - Bonsai - is there a way to control

conix67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got this frag of a Bonsai acro (was called Ultimate Bonsai). The seller's tank had MH and T5, I have Hydra64. Over the 3 weeks, it showed some growth but the color has changed quite a bit - tips are more vibrant purple now but body is lightening up. I was expecting deep purple body color from this coral. What could be the factor that causes this type of color change?

2020_03_29_bonsai_comparison.png

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. You can have perfect Params but each coral moving from one system to another causes stress to it. Some corals too will only show that deep color when it’s grown some and established. I had a bonsai too that would grow fast but just have color in the tips that looked just like yours. When the colonies branches got about an inch tall the whole coral turned straight purple. It just needed time, the params were always stable.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a small piece from a large colony. The frag was mounted in the same tank as the mother colony. But it became a noticeably different color.... same overall pattern just different hint and hue. I have seen this happen a number of times. Daughter frags should be clones of the colony so it sort of does not make sense.

in your case, the change could be environmental. Often frags go into a sort of shock and take time to start growing and color up.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa dont freak out , your getting good growth and the tips are reforming, That acro gets white in the top sections where its growing the most , and exposed to really good light , its starting to look more natural than most do in peoples tanks, as a frag does from the tip to a main body once fragged it mitigates the colors accordingly , thats why "frags" of siiick tenuis look so crazy vs the mother or other parts. Then you buy it and it starts changing lol . If your tips started to get white then watch out but so far your doing great with it imho.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it and watch it. It looks healthy overall and has good polyp extension and color on the new growth tips. Its probably just from new growth and lower nutrients in your tank compared to the tank it was in before. If it stays pale you can try slowly increasing no3 and po4 if they are on the unls side. Another option is feeding the tank with a coral food like Reef Roids or dosing a good amino suppliment, Brightwell and Acro Power are popular.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back