New Frag System Build – Stand Needed

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a new frag system that will be used to grow out corals for a future display system. Since I live in an apartment, I want the system to be relatively easy to move because my wife and I will be purchasing our first house within the next couple of years. So, I picked up a 48"x18"x12" Seapora frag tank.

Now, I need to figure out what stand I am going to use. I have thought about building one to save money, but I have no tools, except for a drill, a hammer, and some other standard tools. I have never been handy since a I have lived in apartments for my entire life. Also, our apartment's floors are incredibly unleveled; it was a nightmare leveling all 20+ leveling feet on my Waterbox. This led me to reach out to Framing Tech to see what the cost would be because I like that the stand would be relatively light, easy to disassemble and reassemble, I would have no doubts about it holding the weight of the aquarium, and the four leveling feet would allow me to much more easily level the stand on my flooring.

I reached out to them, and I received an email this morning. Jeff, the person of contact stated that the cost would be $610 + $100 for shipping, for a 48.5"x18.5"x36" stand. If I want to have them add panel material for the aquarium and sump to rest on, then the cost would jump to $965 + $175 for shipping. He did say that many people that don't end up purchasing a table top or shelf material from them will often use plywood and seal it really well.

I'm confused about what to do. On one hand, I would love to save the money and build a stand, but I have no experience with that, and I would prefer to not have one fail in my apartment. Also, it will be the first thing that is visible when entering our apartment. I am certain that my wife does not want a low-quality stand being the first thing people notice. However, the quote that I received is quite expensive, but I may be willing to pay for a stand that provides years, if not decades, of utility as I will likely always have a frag tank. If I go that route, then I would need to figure out how to skin the stand, which could come in time.

I would love to get your thoughts about this since I am struggling with my decision.

Last edited:

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my stand out of 2x4 & 2x6 covered with ply wood. First time trying anything like this, One of the things I wish I had added although it turned out pretty descent per my contractor SIL was leveling feet. Knowing that your floor is not level & it will be a few yrs before you get a house I would go with Framing Tech.
20180118_202922.jpg

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my stand out of 2x4 & 2x6 covered with ply wood. First time trying anything like this, One of the things I wish I had added although it turned out pretty descent per my contractor SIL was leveling feet. Knowing that your floor is not level & it will be a few yrs before you get a house I would go with Framing Tech.
20180118_202922.jpg
I appreciate your insight and you sharing your experience. Honestly, the leveling feet are enough to make me want to go with a Framing Tech stand. Now, I just need to sell some items to fund it. ;Greedy

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your insight and you sharing your experience. Honestly, the leveling feet are enough to make me want to go with a Framing Tech stand. Now, I just need to sell some items to fund it. ;Greedy
If I do another tank that's what I'll do also. Good luck with everything.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW leveling feet can be installed on a homemade wooden stand as well. The only downside to the DIY option is, if you don't already have the tools. It's actually an incredibly expensive effort to make one. I made my stand from 3/4" plywood and ended up using about $2500 worth of tools to build it (Granted you could get away with using much less than that). If you already had the tools I would say skip the Framing tech but without them, there really isn't another better option out there.

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a low quality cheap stand once before...waste of money and regret it. You want the stability of a good built stand. Have you priced PA stand through Matt? Other option would be a metal stand, you can probably get a pretty sturdy one, fairly cheap.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to find a metal fabricator in your area that could make you a steel welded stand for less than $710, though probably not much less.
If I were you I would probably just go with the 80/20 stand.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a low quality cheap stand once before...waste of money and regret it. You want the stability of a good built stand. Have you priced PA stand through Matt? Other option would be a metal stand, you can probably get a pretty sturdy one, fairly cheap.
I have not priced equipment though Matt as I have only purchased items that he has on his shelves.

What does "PA stand" mean? I apologize for my ignorance, but I definitely want to make an informed decision.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude - shoot me a PM. I can put together a simple stand in an afternoon for you. I'll even pick out the 2x4's so they can dry out a bit before assembly. I'm in grove city.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can totally build a stand yourself. You don't need leveling feet, just buy a package of plastic shims. 2x4, sanded ply and white paint.. done and done.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back