New frag tank setup suggestions?

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a frag tank on the cheap. I've decided on a 20 gallon setup. As far as filtration, I am thinking about actually doing an under gravel filter with some sand on top as I don't want a sump or a HOB filter system. I plan on attaching a power head to the under gravel filter. If necessary, I will get a protein skimmer. I will probably go with an AI prime for a light.

Is sand and an undergravel with powerhead a bad idea? I know that they are rare for reef tanks, but figured that a frag tank would be fine for the application. At most, I might put a single fish in the frag tank...maybe a 6 line. Other than that, coral frags only.

As far as sand, are there any suggestions?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a frag tank on the cheap. I've decided on a 20 gallon setup. As far as filtration, I am thinking about actually doing an under gravel filter with some sand on top as I don't want a sump or a HOB filter system. I plan on attaching a power head to the under gravel filter. If necessary, I will get a protein skimmer. I will probably go with an AI prime for a light.

Is sand and an undergravel with powerhead a bad idea? I know that they are rare for reef tanks, but figured that a frag tank would be fine for the application. At most, I might put a single fish in the frag tank...maybe a 6 line. Other than that, coral frags only.

As far as sand, are there any suggestions?

sand irritates hammers and possibly other corals. perhaps float plastic egg crate over sand. Your local home improvement store should have plastic 'egg crate' in florescent lighting section - just cut down a small ceiling panel even smaller and prop up on something

Undergravel clogs with fine sand, so you'll want coarse. Might even want to lay a barrier between undergravel filter plate and coarse sand/argonite. Can't recall what we used for barrier 25 years ago, but others likely recall. (not cheesecloth - rots) Do recall everyone moved away from undergravel and bioballs to sumps and refugiums to better care for corals. Everything comes full circle. Likely be wearing bell bottoms again soon too

FYI 6 line wrasse love to spit sand & swim and unless you've got a circle 20 gallon, that is too small a tank for that six line wrasse. There are a zillion other fish options, but wrasses that spit sand up and around better than a jawfish likely aren't great fish option for small reef tank using sand substrate undergravel filtration

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back