New from Fauna Marin: Bacto Reef Balls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Surgeon_za

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just received my BRB bottle and when I opened it (the lid was sealed) there is liquid inside the bottle along with the balls...is this normal or have some burst? Thanks, Andy

That is normal :)

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just received my BRB bottle and when I opened it (the lid was sealed) there is liquid inside the bottle along with the balls...is this normal or have some burst? Thanks, Andy
Perfectly normal, they are kept moist for the bacteria/enzymes to keep. :)

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these ever completely dissolve.? As stated above, you need to remove any undissolved balls when adding new?

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the undissolved spheres are the soft material used to hold the bacteria in-place. The ball shrinks as the bacteria is released, leaving behind a piece that is about a 1/3 of the original size. When you see this, you should remove the remains and add a new batch of BRB.

Kyle S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this forum is still being monitored as I can’t seem to find this answer. I’ve recently started using Bacto Balls in my 20 gallon tank. I started with half the dose and used only one ball. This one dissolved down literally within one day so I added a second. This second one also dissolved almost immediately. I then replaced the balls with 2 more and noticed these two were dissolved down the 1/3 their size ina couple days. Why are they dissolving so fast? Should I continue to replace them and will the dissolve rate slow down? Should I still wait the 2 weeks or just keep swapping them out? Thank you in advance!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this forum is still being monitored as I can’t seem to find this answer. I’ve recently started using Bacto Balls in my 20 gallon tank. I started with half the dose and used only one ball. This one dissolved down literally within one day so I added a second. This second one also dissolved almost immediately. I then replaced the balls with 2 more and noticed these two were dissolved down the 1/3 their size ina couple days. Why are they dissolving so fast? Should I continue to replace them and will the dissolve rate slow down? Should I still wait the 2 weeks or just keep swapping them out? Thank you in advance!

I would say that continued dosage requirements depend on your water test results. I don’t think there is any exact science here with adding these to your sytem.... test your water, and decide from there would be my approach.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin , you mentioned that they could be placed in a filter sock but also mentioned placing them after the skimmer. Does placing them before the skimmer reduce their effectiveness?

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,

The rate at which BRB dissolve is dependent on your current nutrient levels and placement of the balls. Higher nutrient levels will rapidly dissolve the ball. Placing it in too much flow will also pre-maturely dissolve the ball. Each batch should be kept in a slow flow area either inside a media reactor or in a filter bag. For more information on BRB, please refer to our How-to-use guide on our downloads page:
https://www.faunamarin.de/en/download-center/

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin , you mentioned that they could be placed in a filter sock but also mentioned placing them after the skimmer. Does placing them before the skimmer reduce their effectiveness?

We suggest placement after the skimmer because this is typically the area where there is less flow. This allows the balls to dissolve more consistently. Of course with there being so many different sump designs now, it would be best to base BRB placement on the configuration of your sump design.

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened my second jar of brb. The seal on this one didn’t seem to be sealed down tight like the last one . Is this an issue?

Bleidig12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the recommended dosage of Bacto Balls in my reef tank. I noticed they reduced in size; however, they never fully dissolved. After about 2 weeks they were about 1/4 the original size, but seemed to not dissolve any more beyond that point. I removed those Bacto Balls and put new ones in. Sure enough they dissolved about to the same size as the first ones I put in the sump. I left them in for even longer but seemed to not dissolve beyond the size of a pea.

My question is after the two weeks schedule is up, are you suppose to remove the remaining Bacto Balls and replace with new? Or do you just keep the original Bacto Balls in until they’re fully dissolved, then once fully dissolved replace with new? Or keep in the original Bacto Balls and replace with new ones every two weeks on schedule?

Thank you

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened my second jar of brb. The seal on this one didn’t seem to be sealed down tight like the last one . Is this an issue?
Hi there,
how was your experience with bacto balls, are you still using it?

Thank you

Fauna Marin Support

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin Do I need to add bacto energy to have a better use of bacto balls?
Hi there,
you don`t need to add Bacto Energy while using the Bacto Reef Balls.

By adding Bacto Energy, filter bacteria multiply very strongly and bind various nutrients such as nitrite, nitrate and phosphate in biomass or break them down.

Normally, one of the two products should be sufficient.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back