New future fish and how many I can have

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I asked this question yesterday but I listed different fish so I'm asking again but with different fish in mind. My tank is a 24g cube, sand bed: 1.25 inches, has 3 different sized caves and multiple other hiding places, none are occupied by any fish and I have 2 clownfish still pairing and an orchid dottyback who has their home in the sand wedged between two rocks. I wanted to know how many more fish I could keep and If I could have both the kamohara blenny and an ORA green mandarin (I know how the mandarins will only eat pods sometimes and how I'll have to add them, but ORA says they will eat frozen and dry foods, so will that replace completly or take up a fraction of their diet instead of it being just pods, and is that even true)? Also is it a bad idea to keep a yellow watchman goby with the mandarin because they can compete for food? I like the ywg also. Thank you so much.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking I go by the old-school rule of 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. That can vary a bit tho.

As far as mandarins, even with supplemental frozen, they still need a LOT of pods, and I don't think a 24g can supply that, unless you're raising pods in another tank and adding them daily. Mandarins are like humming birds, they need food constantly.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking I go by the old-school rule of 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. That can vary a bit tho.

As far as mandarins, even with supplemental frozen, they still need a LOT of pods, and I don't think a 24g can supply that, unless you're raising pods in another tank and adding them daily. Mandarins are like humming birds, they need food constantly.
Yeah, I have heard from from needing a big tank with pods as food to nano tanks with supplemental food, I mean if my store sells pods and I go weekly or biweekly for water I might pick up some pods each time because I buy RO there, and if my frozen food can take up like 80% of the food it eats shouldn't he be fine? I don't want to hurt any animals I can't keep but I just don't know what to listen to.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are also a slow-moving, peaceful (even timid) fish; it might not be a good fit for a small tank with boisterous clowns.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are also a slow-moving, peaceful (even timid) fish; it might not be a good fit for a small tank with boisterous clowns.
So if they wouldn't be a good fit would a kamahara blenny be ok? I can't really find anything on it. Probably just gonna get a goby

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mandarin that eats prepared foods, I struggled to maintain weight with it eating meaty foods daily and dosing pods weekly in a 44 gallon. Only able to maintain weight once I added a sump with refugium and chaeto for pods to grow safely. At minimum you're going to need a sump but even still the 24 might be a little tight. If the clowns are the more docile kind it might be okay but if theyre maroons don't count on it.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mandarin that eats prepared foods, I struggled to maintain weight with it eating meaty foods daily and dosing pods weekly in a 44 gallon. Only able to maintain weight once I added a sump with refugium and chaeto for pods to grow safely. At minimum you're going to need a sump but even still the 24 might be a little tight. If the clowns are the more docile kind it might be okay but if theyre maroons don't count on it.
Yeah sounds like a pain, I don't have a sump nor a refugium and maybe next tank I'll think about it but for now that's not for me. Thanks for the help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back