New G2 Red Sea Reefer XL 300 Return Valve Nightmare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now you all have me scared. I have a new Red Sea Reefer 200 G2 that is being set up as we speak. Should I be looking at replacing the valve with a new gate valve. Is this the norm in all reefers (valve noise and tuning issues)? Too late not to use this tank.

Last edited:

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now you all have me scared. I have a new Red Sea Reefer 200 G2 that is being set up as we speak. Should I be looking at replacing the valve with a new gate valve. Is this the norm in all reefers (valve noise and tuning issues)? Too late not to use this tank.

yes do it from scratch please!

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have to agree, change it before you even think about putting water in. It isn't that hard.

@c0kefree thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot sometime. I've adjusted it to where it isn't keeping me up all night so I'm pacified for now.

@dbroncos don't worry much about the valve, it is better to switch it out, but it isn't a huge deal. Many, many people have had the same issue and the G2 was supposed to be a "redesigned" version and much better. Well, it isn't better.

The G2 Red Sea tank has been great and I like it. Their customer support via online ticket stinks. Takes them forever to answer. So don't get worked up about it. You can always change it later. Mine gives me so much trouble because I have a very high flow environment that slows at night and then picks back up in the morning and that causes havoc on the valve.

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree, change it before you even think about putting water in. It isn't that hard.

@c0kefree thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot sometime. I've adjusted it to where it isn't keeping me up all night so I'm pacified for now.

@dbroncos don't worry much about the valve, it is better to switch it out, but it isn't a huge deal. Many, many people have had the same issue and the G2 was supposed to be a "redesigned" version and much better. Well, it isn't better.

The G2 Red Sea tank has been great and I like it. Their customer support via online ticket stinks. Takes them forever to answer. So don't get worked up about it. You can always change it later. Mine gives me so much trouble because I have a very high flow environment that slows at night and then picks back up in the morning and that causes havoc on the valve.
Any instructions you can provide? i’ve seen very limited instructions out there.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any instructions you can provide? i’ve seen very limited instructions out there.

Try this:

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea Reefer 250 and use the VectraS1. So might be bit different but I do run my return pump at 80%, no sponge filter/bubble filter before the return chamber and I run the water as high as possible in the return chamber.
So I don’t get the return chamber to ever empty only when I forget to top of the RO water.
But the drain valve is pain and requires daily or weekly adjustments up and down. Things get stuck on the membrane etc… Either it clogs and the emergency overflows is used or is open too much and it sounds like toilet. I even applied some DOW111 lubricant on the membrane and it seems to help a bit. Sometimes when the stars align and I made right sacrifice it works for a month.

That is the worst experience of owning Red Sea Reefer for me by far. Way back when I contacted support they told me to buy new valve, but from other people comments I don’t think that works. I don’t understand why Red Sea is so fixated on this design!!!!

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have Red Sea Reefer 250 and use the VectraS1. So might be bit different but I do run my return pump at 80%, no sponge filter/bubble filter before the return chamber and I run the water as high as possible in the return chamber.
So I don’t get the return chamber to ever empty only when I forget to top of the RO water.
But the drain valve is pain and requires daily or weekly adjustments up and down. Things get stuck on the membrane etc… Either it clogs and the emergency overflows is used or is open too much and it sounds like toilet. I even applied some DOW111 lubricant on the membrane and it seems to help a bit. Sometimes when the stars align and I made right sacrifice it works for a month.

That is the worst experience of owning Red Sea Reefer for me by far. Way back when I contacted support they told me to buy new valve, but from other people comments I don’t think that works. I don’t understand why Red Sea is so fixated on this design!!!!

I was running mine very low and increased it to 60%. That helped, but it still doss the same thing. Every time my Nero 7s ramp down and up for night and day, it throws off the flow drastically and it has to be adjusted.

Oh and a new valve? They sent me one under warranty and it made ZERO difference. Don't waste your money on a new Red Sea valve. Take that money and replace the valve, it's what I'll most likely do soon.

If it tells you how disgusted I am by this experience, I seriously thinking of selling the Red Sea after 8 months of ownership and buying a CADE or Waterbox, something that works.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any updates on this? I also find myself in precision valve hell these days.
Yes, sort of.

I have found if you really fill the sump and tank with water, then you don't have as much issue. So I keep a lot of water in the sump and I adjust the valve to be open too much. I essence I get the filling and draining sound from the overflow, which is a major PITA, but it's better than waking up 10 times a night to correct the sump level with the return valve.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's a nightmare for sure.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really that much of an issue to get the water balance right. The key is to make very small changes (1/8" turns or so) and wait 5-10 minutes before making another one. And keeping your pump speed constant (when not off or throttled down for feedings).

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not really that much of an issue to get the water balance right. The key is to make very small changes (1/8" turns or so) and wait 5-10 minutes before making another one. And keeping your pump speed constant (when not off or throttled down for feedings).
Not that much of an issue with a Red Sea valve? Not sure which system you have, but me and countless others have haf major issues adjusting it.

Mine still isn't right and changes all the time. I've just found a fairly good solution.

If you do have a Red Sea and have it to where you never have to touch it, then congratulations!! I think it's a terrible design and should have been corrected.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that much of an issue with a Red Sea valve? Not sure which system you have, but me and countless others have haf major issues adjusting it.

Mine still isn't right and changes all the time. I've just found a fairly good solution.

If you do have a Red Sea and have it to where you never have to touch it, then congratulations!! I think it's a terrible design and should have been corrected.
I have the first generation (black) Red Sea gate valve on my 750XXL. I just finally cleaned it after 2 years and this was the first time I had to readjust it based on higher flow with a clean gate valve (if you like icky gate valve photos, I posted these on my build thread - on page 27 I think).

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the first generation (black) Red Sea gate valve on my 750XXL. I just finally cleaned it after 2 years and this was the first time I had to readjust it.
Wow, that's great then. You mean the tank hasn't collapsed during the night and washed you into the next county? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I read so many of those stories I was terrified.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's great then. You mean the tank hasn't collapsed during the night and washed you into the next county? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I read so many of those stories I was terrified.
Haha, not yet, lol. There are umpteen improvements that Red Sea made to the 750XXL v3, which are on all models with the aluminium stands and 625 models and up.

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pretty much have to keep my ato reservoir topped off every other day just to account for the sporadic high/ low water level while I’m sleeping or at work. Incredibly frustrating to say the least.

I’ve taken apart the plumbing and cleaned out the pipes and precision valve hoping to find a snail shell or something that was causing the issue to no avail.

Was thinking of swapping out with a gate valve but would like to see more confirmed long term successes. I had no issue with the precision valve the first few months but it’s been a rollercoaster ever since.

Attachments

• 5A6F9ED0-CD8F-4A24-B1AF-4AB095B3E567.png
    5A6F9ED0-CD8F-4A24-B1AF-4AB095B3E567.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I pretty much have to keep my ato reservoir topped off every other day just to account for the sporadic high/ low water level while I’m sleeping or at work. Incredibly frustrating to say the least.

I’ve taken apart the plumbing and cleaned out the pipes and precision valve hoping to find a snail shell or something that was causing the issue to no avail.

Was thinking of swapping out with a gate valve but would like to see more confirmed long term successes. I had no issue with the precision valve the first few months but it’s been a rollercoaster ever since.

Same, a new valve won't work, but try opening your valve (very small adjustments) more and see how it does. I find when mine is open a lot and the water level is pretty high, it will stabilize a bit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back