OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add your clean up crew and maybe 1-2 fish before adding your corals.
Is that the process? Like I mentioned I'm so new to this lol. I've had (to me) some beautiful freshwater Discus tanks but this salt thing, well is going to be a journey. lol.
I'm style trying to put together the needed test kits, I've read several posts regarding kits and it can be confusing. Fresh water testing is child's play compared to what I've read. Thanks again.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the process? Like I mentioned I'm so new to this lol. I've had (to me) some beautiful freshwater Discus tanks but this salt thing, well is going to be a journey. lol.
I'm style trying to put together the needed test kits, I've read several posts regarding kits and it can be confusing. Fresh water testing is child's play compared to what I've read. Thanks again.
Usually once your tank has completely finished the nitrification cycle process, then yes it's usually most common practice to start adding a small number of fish with a small clean-up crew of snails, shrimp, urchins, emerald crabs, things like that to help eat and control your algae, let them go at it for a little bit, and then if your not interested in the stonier corals, if you just want to stick to the soft corals, then add them at that point. Just be careful especially with Green Star polyps, Xenia and Kenya tree leathers, they grow quick and can quickly take over if you're not prepared. If you have small isolated pieces of live rock "Islands" as we call it, those are the best spots for corals like that if you don't want them to take over places you don't want them to be. Good luck

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful especially with Green Star polyps, Xenia and Kenya tree leathers, they grow quick and can quickly take over if you're not prepared. If you have small isolated pieces of live rock "Islands" as we call it, those are the best spots for corals like that if you don't want them to take over places you don't want them to be. Good luck

Thanks for the great tips and advice. I was looking at those small shelf like reef rack islands, aka frag racks. I saw a tank that had something similar attached to the back wall and GSP's on it, actually looked amazing.

Anything thoughts on some beginner test kits?

Thanks again.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great tips and advice. I was looking at those small shelf like reef rack islands, aka frag racks. I saw a tank that had something similar attached to the back wall and GSP's on it, actually looked amazing.

Anything thoughts on some beginner test kits?

Thanks again.
for chemicals, there's a lot of debate which is best, but for now I would probably just get the API Master Saltwater test kit, it comes with tests for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrates. You may want to consider adding a phosphate test which they also make, and maybe sometime down the line a calcium and or alkalinity test kit, but if you have any local aquarium stores, they can do a lot if not all of those tests for you. You will want an ideal ph of 8.0-8.3 and your salt levels to be 1.023-1.025.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha. I understand, but I would recommend a refractometer to check your salinity levels and get some fresh osmosis water from a local supplier. It should be pretty cheap and some of your tank water will evaporate leaving the salt behind and raising your concentration, so you'll want to keep an eye on that and top it off with your RO water. You'll want to keep the levels between 1.023 and 1.025. I like to keep mine closer to the 1.023 level so that I have more fudge room if my water starts to evaporate. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha. I understand, but I would recommend a refractometer to check your salinity levels and get some fresh osmosis water from a local supplier. It should be pretty cheap and some of your tank water will evaporate leaving the salt behind and raising your concentration, so you'll want to keep an eye on that and top it off with your RO water. You'll want to keep the levels between 1.023 and 1.025. I like to keep mine closer to the 1.023 level so that I have more fudge room if my water starts to evaporate. Just a thought.
I did order a refractometer about a week ago. Just made the big purchase today at BRS, JBJ 20 gal tank and stand, heater, Inkbird controller and the Tunze 3125 ATO, and test kits. Should be here on Thursday. Then I'll plan for the weekend project. I was looking at the cost of ATO reservoirs but probably comu up with something else. Need a good all in one power supply.

Back