New girl: alkalinity, what should it be at?

coralgallore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am new, like literally signed up today. I have read a lot of info and learned a lot of things from this website so I thought I would join. I am fairly new to the hobby and am obsessed ( obviously) its so fun!

Anyways my question is, what is the ideal numbers for alkalinity in a tank?

Salinity .26
Calcium 450
nitrates 0
ph level 8.2
ammonia 0

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there is no right answer, I always keep mine around 8.2-8.3.

And Welcome Aboard!! :)

OP
OP
coralgallore

coralgallore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone :)

it seems as though, my alkalinity is sky high, I have done water changes and still seems to be super high ( around 14.0) perhaps my test kit sucks?

I don't really do any dosing, aside from sometimes adding calcium, and other things like, phytoplankton, and zooplankton.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the salt mixes like Red Sea Coral Pro are set at around 12. I tried it and didn't like it that high and switched to the Red Sea blue bucket salt, which is at about 8.2

OP
OP
coralgallore

coralgallore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the salt mixes like Red Sea Coral Pro are set at around 12. I tried it and didn't like it that high and switched to the Red Sea blue bucket salt, which is at about 8.2

Oh yeah? I'm using reef crystals reef salt. I don't mind it, but heard that red sea blue bucket one is amazing!

I may do the same...

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running low nutrients, Nitrate 5 or below and Phosphate .03, I would keep it between 7 and 8 if keeping SPS coral or run the risk of tip burn. Higher nutrients you can run higher alk. In time you have to find out what your tank likes. Could be 7 up to ???

B_Dawk5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah? I'm using reef crystals reef salt. I don't mind it, but heard that red sea blue bucket one is amazing!

I may do the same...

I had a bad jump in alk (15) with reef crystals last month and have since switched to fluval sea pro formula

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a correct answer to that. It depends on the corals you have or want. It also depends on nitrate and phosphate levels. The key more then anything is stability. You want the number to stay still. Rule of thumb - low nutrients and/or carbon dosing 7-8, higher nutrients and/or not carbon dosing 8-9.5. Daily testing and dosing if necessary to keep it from fluctuating .2.

OP
OP
coralgallore

coralgallore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously there are many different answer to your question because every tank run differently, however I try to mimic as close to nature it self and the parameter are 7dkh,380cal,1300mag,400potasium

For sure, I want to bring it down a bit I think it's way too high. But not sure how to do that....

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome too R2R , I would just try too keep all your parameters as near too natural sea water (nsw) as possible ,

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, I want to bring it down a bit I think it's way too high. But not sure how to do that....

There's a lot of information missing to give you a really good answer, but in general, corals connsume Alkalinity to build their skeletal structure. Simply waiting will drop your alkalinity.

But:

What do you have in your tank livestock wise? Corals? Fish? What type?
How old is the tank?
What test kit are you using?
What additives are you using specifically?

I would double check your result before making any other adjustments. Even better, take a water sample to the local fish store and have them run a test or two as well. It could have just been a user error - it happens all of the time. But before addressing a problem, its a good idea to be really sure of what you are trying to address. On to the actual question, alkalinity can range anywhere from 7-12 in a reef tank - your own nutrient management system, livestock and to some extent salt choice will determine where you should keep that level. As others have pointed out, generally the range of 8-9 dKH is a good place to start.

And Welcome to R2R! :D

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask 10 different reefers you'll probably get 10 different answers on what they keep alk at. Between 8-12 is the most accepted numbers but don't chase those numbers, if your tank is at 7.5 and everything is fine and healthy don't stress yourself to get it up. Same goes for if it's a little high. I've seen gorgeous reef tanks with alk that was always at 6 and 13 and ones that looked like crap at 9. New reefers get it stuck in there head that you MUST have your numbers at X. Find a stable number and just try to keep it at that. And welcome to REEF2REEF [emoji106].

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I may do the same...

Other salts to consider:
Fritz RPM
Instant Ocean (not reef crystals)

Both are relatively inexpensive, and have yielded good results to a lot of people.

As for lowering your alkalinity, do you have anything in the tank currently? I believe Randy posted something about lowering it with a dilute acid if it's really bad, but I'd personally just change salts and let it come down naturally as it's used by coral in the tank.

OP
OP
coralgallore

coralgallore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of information missing to give you a really good answer, but in general, corals connsume Alkalinity to build their skeletal structure. Simply waiting will drop your alkalinity.

But:

What do you have in your tank livestock wise? Corals? Fish? What type?
How old is the tank?
What test kit are you using?
What additives are you using specifically?

I would double check your result before making any other adjustments. Even better, take a water sample to the local fish store and have them run a test or two as well. It could have just been a user error - it happens all of the time. But before addressing a problem, its a good idea to be really sure of what you are trying to address. On to the actual question, alkalinity can range anywhere from 7-12 in a reef tank - your own nutrient management system, livestock and to some extent salt choice will determine where you should keep that level. As others have pointed out, generally the range of 8-9 dKH is a good place to start.

And Welcome to R2R! :D

90 gallon -lots of liverock
tank is 8 years old, I bought it form a friend. with the live sand and live rock.
test kit is reef foundation pro test kit -RED SEA
calcium - sparingly.
phyo plankton, zoo plankton, reef roids( occasionally )

Livestock:
Green frogspawn
pink frogspawn
fungia colony
tooth brain
red blastos
xenia/waving hand
alveopora
zooanthids
australlian elegance
green torch
duncans
coranthius tube anenome
blue tang
yellow tang
4 clownfish
pink dotty back
2 blood shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
a bunch of snails.
( a little bit of algae on the glass I have been trying to get rid of, but every blend I put in gets eaten...*scratches head*...)

Thanks for your help, and everyone else's! I appreciate it :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back