New Goby with odd patch on skin

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Bella Goby from Diver’s Den yesterday and today I noticed a discolored patch of skin behind its head. I’m attaching two photographs. My gut reaction is that it may have just scratched itself on a rock, but better safe than sorry, so I hope one of the experts here can give their opinion. Thanks!

58643DFB-2F40-4FCC-89B2-F5A7B26F3F9E.jpeg

76F2FAAB-EB0C-4977-A3CA-BE6B9A4A0D1C.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t a likely spot for a goby to injure itself. Additionally, sand sifting gobies are adept at dealing with substrate.
Jay

Divers Den fish are supposed to go through at least a cursory QT, but Live Aquaria fish are sometimes drop-shipped, right?

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA fish are, but this came directly from Diver’s Den in Wisconsin, overnight. They do go through a medication and quarantine process. One thing I noticed was that this one was sold singly, although they’re most often sold as pairs. I’m wondering if maybe its “buddy” had a go at it which is why it was sold solo. It otherwise acts perfectly normal, and all other fish in the tank were also quarantined.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA fish are, but this came directly from Diver’s Den in Wisconsin, overnight. They do go through a medication and quarantine process. One thing I noticed was that this one was sold singly, although they’re most often sold as pairs. I’m wondering if maybe its “buddy” had a go at it which is why it was sold solo. It otherwise acts perfectly normal, and all other fish in the tank were also quarantined.
Weird- my post seems to be missing a section where I said that it looks like the fish is in a DT, so your treatments would be limited; perhaps Focus + GC or an antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird- my post seems to be missing a section where I said that it looks like the fish is in a DT, so your treatments would be limited; perhaps Focus + GC or an antibiotic.

Jay

I have a 20 gallon QT tank. I can try to net it and place it in there. I currently have on hand: cupramine, PraziPro, acriflavine, doxycycline, and metronidazole.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon QT tank. I can try to net it and place it in there. I currently have on hand: cupramine, PraziPro, acriflavine, doxycycline, and metronidazole.
Ok, if the fish is feeding, you should probably just be prepared to move it...
Doxycycline wouldn’t be my first choice- tetracycline class drugs are inhibited by calcium n the water, they are better suited as oral meds.
Jay

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if the fish is feeding, you should probably just be prepared to move it...
Doxycycline wouldn’t be my first choice- tetracycline class drugs are inhibited by calcium n the water, they are better suited as oral meds.
Jay
The goby is feeding, yes. I can get some nitrofurazone on my way home if that would be a better option should the spot get any worse.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back