New Gyre 300 Series Pumps Feature Sine Wave Tech & Flow Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMEN! I am so surprised that powerhead manufacturers have not caught onto this principle by now. I am setting up a new tank now and this is one of my concerns: how can I move the powerhead connections close enough to the pump so that I can easily disconnect them for cleaning.

I run 2 XF250s. For maintenance I pull them out and do a total swap of cages and rotors and right back in the tank.

Then clean the rotors and cages at the deep sink.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XF250s on my reef and have them going up to 80% and you can hear them a little but overall it doesn't bother me. The one thing that would really help is the deflectors. Since they just snap on and off hopefully they'll sell them for the the 250s as well!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to these. Are maxspects quieter in general compared to the icecaps? My icecap is LOUD.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video was great but how do we know the pump wasn't operating at a pretty low intensity? The setting was supposed to be 60% max flow, so realistically, the DB measurements could have been done when the pump was pushing more like 30%.

:/ looks really promising though!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t. I’m hopeful though. Ecotech will still win IMO on maintenance. But if these are silent and can go longer between cleaning I may switch from my mp40s.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of Jebao PP-40, RW-40 whatever the equivalent of their MP40 equivalent is. The default controller is garbage and I can hear the pump ramping up and down, very very noisey. Once I got their wifi controller with "sine" wave control the pumps are dead silent. So I'm a strong believer in the power that a good controller can make. The fact that they point out the sine wave technology is an improvement makes me think that it's a big deal. Just my $.02

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo when will these be available in the states? i see alot of non USA websites selling them already

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice that the current XF-230 is so......much louder and annoying than the XF-250?
Doesn't make sense when an MP10 is quieter then an MP40 in retrospect.

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice that the current XF-230 is so......much louder and annoying than the XF-250?
Doesn't make sense when an MP10 is quieter then an MP40 in retrospect.

do you think because of the xf230 being ~ 60% of the flow capability of the xf250, people are pushing the 230 harder thus making it louder?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much, I'm only running the XF-230s at 20~30% and it's 3x louder then the XF-250s which are at 50%.
I've heard and read many complaints that they were loud but had to try it myself since I've been happy with the larger version.
I can't figure out why a smaller motor & prop assembly would be so much noisier then a larger version of itself.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought xf280 but if I hear about new model or see newer model with name or number 300 series then I would expect more gph flow, based on what I read it produces 5280 gph which is equal to xf280 only difference is that it has shroud that prevents air bubbles. I don't see this motivating me to spend money to upgrade for same GPH flow... JMO..

If they are compatible with the current controller I'd probably pick a couple up.

I spoke to BCUK (Maxspect UK importer) and they confirmed that the 200 series controllers do not work with the 300 series, also there doesn't appear to be any plans to make a 380 for the foreseeable according to them.

As someone who owns 2 of the 200 series controllers I am a little peed off but it seems as though the technology has changed considerably so I kind of get it. Tried my 200 series on my new 300g but the noise is just too much in the room its in, the 300 are meant to be a lot quieter as referenced in the video linked above. I would try another brand rather than give maxspect my money again but I do like they way the gyres perform, also they are almost 100% fish safe which can't really be said about many other pumps on the market and given I like to buy tiny CB fish this is a big plus point.

I'm picking up a pair of 350's and controller tomorrow, I already have a 150 and a few 250's to compare them against, hopefully they will meet expectations!

I'll post again once I've had time to play with them, may try and take a vid of the noise difference between the 150, 250 and 350 if I have time.

Tony Hight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on purchasing two 250's after Christmas. Love these new units but not sure if I can wait until March and then not sure how much longer before the interface comes out to work with Apex.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to BCUK (Maxspect UK importer) and they confirmed that the 200 series controllers do not work with the 300 series, also there doesn't appear to be any plans to make a 380 for the foreseeable according to them.

As someone who owns 2 of the 200 series controllers I am a little peed off but it seems as though the technology has changed considerably so I kind of get it. Tried my 200 series on my new 300g but the noise is just too much in the room its in, the 300 are meant to be a lot quieter as referenced in the video linked above. I would try another brand rather than give maxspect my money again but I do like they way the gyres perform, also they are almost 100% fish safe which can't really be said about many other pumps on the market and given I like to buy tiny CB fish this is a big plus point.

I'm picking up a pair of 350's and controller tomorrow, I already have a 150 and a few 250's to compare them against, hopefully they will meet expectations!

I'll post again once I've had time to play with them, may try and take a vid of the noise difference between the 150, 250 and 350 if I have time.
Thank you for the info! Can't wait to hear your experience.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back