New Hanna Magnesium (HI783) Reviews

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So Hanna emailed me back very quickly

“Here are some tips the Aquariums manager put together which may be helpful.

Repeatability issues are purely related to the quantity of reagent dispensed. In our experience, it just takes a little bit of practice getting used to dispensing the somewhat viscous reagents, but after a few tests most users get very consistent measurements.

Review the tips and tricks section in the instruction manual carefully. The most common issues and how to prevent them are explained there.

Ensure the cuvettes are rinsed with RODI water thoroughly after use. It must be dry before used again - shake out any remaining RODI water left in the cuvette if repeating measurements.

Ensure a good seal between the syringe and the syringe tip: the liquid should not be dripping out while you are holding the full syringe.

One thing you can try is to push the gasket that is in the dosing tip down further into the tip because as the dosing tip goes down it tapers more which will make a tighter seal.

If liquid remains in the syringe after dispensing the reagent or sample, try expelling it into the cuvette by gently shaking down the remaining liquid to the bottom of the tip, intaking some air with the plunger, then expelling the drop. Repeat if necessary to expel any large drops. Tiny remaining drops will not affect the measurement”

I’m going to humor them and run the tests again, I’m no laboratory technician/chemist, but I don’t think there was any problem with the volume of reagents/sample since I tried multiple techniques to ensure precise volumes were used.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Repeatability issues are purely related to the quantity of reagent dispensed. In our experience, it just takes a little bit of practice getting used to dispensing the somewhat viscous reagents, but after a few tests most users get very consistent measurements.

Review the tips and tricks section in the instruction manual carefully. The most common issues and how to prevent them are explained there.

Ensure the cuvettes are rinsed with RODI water thoroughly after use. It must be dry before used again - shake out any remaining RODI water left in the cuvette if repeating measurements.

Ensure a good seal between the syringe and the syringe tip: the liquid should not be dripping out while you are holding the full syringe.

One thing you can try is to push the gasket that is in the dosing tip down further into the tip because as the dosing tip goes down it tapers more which will make a tighter seal.

If liquid remains in the syringe after dispensing the reagent or sample, try expelling it into the cuvette by gently shaking down the remaining liquid to the bottom of the tip, intaking some air with the plunger, then expelling the drop. Repeat if necessary to expel any large drops. Tiny remaining drops will not affect the measurement”

I’m going to humor them and run the tests again, I’m no laboratory technician/chemist, but I don’t think there was any problem with the volume of reagents/sample since I tried multiple techniques to ensure precise volumes were used.
No luck w/the repeat tests either. I'm going to start the exchange process and see if a different device is any better.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone getting consistent results out of theirs yet? I really want this to work.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the same generic response but I was already doing those. Then I tried it couple more times same. So I contacted them and will send it back next week.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said earlier - Hanna has a site near me in the UK, and an inside source told me that they are having massive returns rates compared to any other products they make.
Oh boy. I hope they can make it right. I really want to support a company that offer an easier way to test.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rep told me sometime it gets consistent after about 10 tests. Wait what? That’s not my job, if that the case it should be done before quality controller then ship it out to us.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rep told me sometime it gets consistent after about 10 tests. Wait what? That’s not my job, if that the case it should be done before quality controller then ship it out to us.
In that case I'd ask for a free pack of 10 tests. I'm only going to use mine once or twice a month to verify due to the cost of the Hanna reagents, so for me it wouldn't work for at least 5 months of testing! I deliberately didn't order magnesium though, even though I only ordered them last week.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I'd ask for a free pack of 10 tests. I'm only going to use mine once or twice a month to verify due to the cost of the Hanna reagents, so for me it wouldn't work for at least 5 months of testing! I deliberately didn't order magnesium though, even though I only ordered them last week.
They should compensate whoever bought this checker with free reagents.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine just arrived and did a test and it showed my mag to b1600 and I don’t even dose It. I use Red Sea blue for salt and I use bionic 2 part for calcium and alk w additional top offs during overnite w 2 tsp kalk to 1 gal water. The syringe that connects to each is not secure so the sample just drips out leaving u with inaccurate results from a glorified hobby kit. How are u gonna test if u can’t get an accurate sample? Not impressed.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sample and first reagent
You should really use volumetric measurement such as a syringe or preferably a lab pipette.

Unless you know the density of the reagent you don't know how much 4ml weighs.
The same with the sample tankwater where 5ml weighs 5.13g at 25 celcius f your salinity is 35psu

Given the small quantities involved volumetric measurement is likely to be much more accurate which is quite important with this test.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really use volumetric measurement such as a syringe or preferably a lab pipette.

Unless you know the density of the reagent you don't know how much 4ml weighs.
The same with the sample tankwater where 5ml weighs 5.13g at 25 celcius f your salinity is 35psu

Given the small quantities involved volumetric measurement is likely to be much more accurate which is quite important with this test.
Definitely, there's a reason weight and volume have different measurements. Then are normally approximately right when it comes to water... But you want accurate not approximate

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back