New Hanna Magnesium (HI783) Reviews

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do me a favor and redo a test. This time do not use the tip on Reagent A. When Reagent A draws air, you get less of Reagent A in the test pushing the numbers high. Try running a test without this tip, or try running a test using 5 ml of Reagent A. Please let me know how this works for you.
I had been getting results of 1800+ before I tried this. Without the tips I got in the 1600s on the two tests I ran. It's better, but still higher than the 1300s that my tank is actually at.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been getting results of 1800+ before I tried this. Without the tips I got in the 1600s on the two tests I ran. It's better, but still higher than the 1300s that my tank is actually at.
A recall on this to bring back their reputation seems like a good idea.

Lynn N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! I should have a bit before gotten mine. I crossed checked it with salifert and the highest was about 300 off! The worse part is that is not consistent. First test was 1610, second was 1360. So I tested with salifert and it was at 1350.

after hearing about this issue so I tested at least 5 more times and it was all over the place. I spoke to Hanna and will return it for a replacement but it’s in back ordered for a 4 weeks wait.

lastly I think we tests were at “1000” and salifert tested for 1280.
I have one as well consistently reading15% higher. What a mess. I am calling them tomorrow for a replacement or refund.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you were joking but don’t give that idea to the Hanna tech lol. Don’t be your own enemy
Only half joking, - I'd probably just label the checker "-150ppm" like I do with the Hanna Alk reagent as below.

IMG_2980.jpeg

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of the new Hanna HI783 Magnesium checkers when they dropped last week, and after one or two mulligans I got it working pretty well.

A little more complex than the basic hanna tests (requires 2 reagents) but nothing too bad, especially vs the other titration mag methods. The toughest part is getting a precise measurement on the syringes, I find them inconsistent.

IMG_0385.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg IMG_0394.jpeg

Step 1: Add 4ml reagent 1 (HI783A-0) into dry cuvette
Step 2: Add 5ml aquarium water to cuvette
Step 3: Invert a few times/add to tester and press C.1
Step 4: Add 1ml reagent 2 (HI783B-0) which will bring to cuvette 10ml fill line
Step 5: Invert a few times.add to tester and press C.2

Worked well on a control test with 35ppm RSP, reading 1388 (package says 1350), and on informing me my DT is overdosed (1800+ x_x)

review-mustplay.gif

Im happy with it - will definitely keep it in the Hanna toolkit. What do others think about the new tester?
mine works fine always accurate

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Hanna emailed me back very quickly

“Here are some tips the Aquariums manager put together which may be helpful.

Repeatability issues are purely related to the quantity of reagent dispensed. In our experience, it just takes a little bit of practice getting used to dispensing the somewhat viscous reagents, but after a few tests most users get very consistent measurements.

Review the tips and tricks section in the instruction manual carefully. The most common issues and how to prevent them are explained there.

Ensure the cuvettes are rinsed with RODI water thoroughly after use. It must be dry before used again - shake out any remaining RODI water left in the cuvette if repeating measurements.

Ensure a good seal between the syringe and the syringe tip: the liquid should not be dripping out while you are holding the full syringe.

One thing you can try is to push the gasket that is in the dosing tip down further into the tip because as the dosing tip goes down it tapers more which will make a tighter seal.

If liquid remains in the syringe after dispensing the reagent or sample, try expelling it into the cuvette by gently shaking down the remaining liquid to the bottom of the tip, intaking some air with the plunger, then expelling the drop. Repeat if necessary to expel any large drops. Tiny remaining drops will not affect the measurement”

I’m going to humor them and run the tests again, I’m no laboratory technician/chemist, but I don’t think there was any problem with the volume of reagents/sample since I tried multiple techniques to ensure precise volumes were used.
Hanna ???

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've run a few more tests with my Mg checker and compared it to a new Salifert test kit. Turns out mine is consistent (within 10-15 ppm) but reads 15% high. I did not use the tips this last set of tests.

Newjimky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of the new Hanna HI783 Magnesium checkers when they dropped last week, and after one or two mulligans I got it working pretty well.

A little more complex than the basic hanna tests (requires 2 reagents) but nothing too bad, especially vs the other titration mag methods. The toughest part is getting a precise measurement on the syringes, I find them inconsistent.

IMG_0385.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg IMG_0394.jpeg

Step 1: Add 4ml reagent 1 (HI783A-0) into dry cuvette
Step 2: Add 5ml aquarium water to cuvette
Step 3: Invert a few times/add to tester and press C.1
Step 4: Add 1ml reagent 2 (HI783B-0) which will bring to cuvette 10ml fill line
Step 5: Invert a few times.add to tester and press C.2

Worked well on a control test with 35ppm RSP, reading 1388 (package says 1350), and on informing me my DT is overdosed (1800+ x_x)

review-mustplay.gif

Im happy with it - will definitely keep it in the Hanna toolkit. What do others think about the new tester?
I don’t have the tester yet but from a statement if memory serves me correct they issued a statement saying to use 5ml of reagent instead of 4ml

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the tester yet but from a statement if memory serves me correct they issued a statement saying to use 5ml of reagent instead of 4ml
Well either way, the biggest reason why reefer want the Hanna checker at the first play was the method of easy to use and hobby grade accurate but now it failed.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an email from Hanna regarding the Mag checker. If you are having issues you can fill out this form: https://pages.hannainst.com/hi783-feedback

No word on what their solution is, but if using 5ml of reagent A gets accurate readings hopefully the fix will be as simple as sending out a slightly more concentrated bottle of reagent A to those that were affected.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an email from Hanna regarding the Mag checker. If you are having issues you can fill out this form: https://pages.hannainst.com/hi783-feedback

No word on what their solution is, but if using 5ml of reagent A gets accurate readings hopefully the fix will be as simple as sending out a slightly more concentrated bottle of reagent A to those that were affected.
Nice that they’re doing something. I sent mine back for about a week already, no words yet.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept track of the 6-8 week time frame they said we would be getting our new reagents? Just curious how much longer this checker is going to be an expensive paper weight!

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who didn’t know, Hanna is issuing a replacement reagent for the checker, I’m guessing that’s why results have been so inconsistent

07094636-06CE-4A64-8B69-18B937F0DDEB.gif

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back